Chapter 80: The End of an Era

"Hmm I was only interested in dealing with you all. But it seems Acnologia ruined my plans. I wonder if he seems set on changing history once more." Zeref's eyes wondered over the sky.

"What do you mean?" Natsu pushed forward, walking up to the wizard before them.

"I wonder if you will survive the new era before us. If you can that is." Zeref taunts. Rin watched as the wizards eyes turned the same shade of red as the blood from Natsu's wounds.

"Leave." Rin growled, taking a step in front of Natsu. The man stood for a moment before humming contently, he then turned around the robes of his clothing catching dust before he disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

Rin let out a sigh of relief. The book was in her hands not that anyone knew that. It was sitting peacefully in her library. She turned around to where the dragons were fighting. Her father moved around, twisting in the air like how he would when Natsu and her were children. The girl watched as he tangled around the other dragon before diving forward and snatching and ripping an arm.

"Holy shit." She gasped as a hole was ripped from side, taking a good percentage of his body away from him. Over the horizon she could see Natsu speaking to their father. "No." Her arms wrapped around herself as her father fell back from the sky towards the ground.

A scream ripped from her as Acnologia roared, the bright light killing the sun and the father.

"DAD NO!"

The wreck before them as daylight broke from the sky. Sting held Rin up by the waist as they looked before the dragons. "I'll give you a moment with your fathers." She whispered to Sting and Rogue before untangling from Sting's gripped.

She couldn't look at the dragons right now. Not after she had lost her father, the chance to speak to him gone forever. It's not like she believed that Natsu would find her father wholeheartedly. But she always supported the belief that he was out there, somewhere in the world. Or at least his corpse would be.

Rin sighed as she walked over to where Natsu kneeled and gripped his body. "Hey," she whispered. She looked over to where the smoke hid their father's body. Natsu whimpered and let the tears fall to the ground.

"I'm sorry Rin." He leaned against her. "He was your dad too." Rin sighed before leaning into his warmth.

"But you were the favorite." She smiled. Natsu let out a choked sob and wailed. The tears welled up in her eyes but she refused for them to fall.

"Come on kids." Igneel's voice cracked from beyond the veil. His body softly glowing as a spell rolled over him. "I've taught you better than to cry."

"We know." Nastu spoke.

"Then prove it, get on your feet." The particles of magic enveloped Igneel as the speed that was keeping him here started to fade. "I've been with you two every step of the way. Keep growing, know that I'll always live in your heart so become the fire that burns within you!"

Natsu stood up from where he knelt and yelled. "We will. We're going to work even harder! We're going to get even stronger! And when I do I'm going to tear down Acnologia!" Natsu screamed. Rin sniffled as she reached up to the sky.

"Rest well dad."

She could hear the grin in his voice as he spoke to her. "I'm proud of you, and what you've done so far." Rin choked as she sniffled, holding in her tears.

It's been a week since the attack. The rebuilding process has started. Rin has decided stay and help with small construction work here and there. And helping Natsu pack up his belongings to travel.

She sighed after leaving lumber in its designated spot. The letter to Gramps weighing heavily in her pockets. She won't be here where magic lies for a while. The stuff in her apartment she shared with the boys were packed up as well and placed into storage.

"Hey." She said, walking up to where her guild master stood in front their damaged guild hall. "I'm leaving the guild." She held the letter in front of her, "this is my official resignation."

Gramps sighed. "There is no need child." Rin furrowed her eyebrows before crumpling it in her hands. "I've decided to disband the guild...it seems like an end of an era." He whispered. The smaller man turned his back and looked forward towards all the rubble.

"I know you've been coming in and out of this world Rin." The girl flushed. While it was no secret she's been traveling realms and maybe even being used as a summon, it was awkward for someone to just...say it out loud.

"I have." She confirmed.

"I do not know all what you're up to, but I certainly hope you're being safe. All my children deserve that at least." Rin frowned.

"Gramps...do you remember when I first arrived at Fairy Tail?"

The older man turned around to face her. "You were smaller than Natsu." He chuckled for a brief moment. "Your big brother carried you here and asked for someone to wrap your foot, you had sprained it, almost broken it. But you did not complain or cry and simply sat patiently.  Natsu went through all the emotions for you."

Rin hummed before shifting her stance. "Natsu is leaving to go on some training journey and while Sabertooth would welcome me with open arms, I best believe if I took some time off." She paused for a moment. "I might die, and when I die there's no guarantee I can come back to this realm." She whispered.

Gramps studied her for a moment.

"I want you to have my resignation letter." Rin said. "In case someone ends up looking for me, they need to know that I was part of something. Something that was important to me. " her voice started to give out on her. "I beg you, please."

Gramps held a grim look on his face before taking the letter from her hands. "Out of all my children," he smiled, "you gave me the least amount of trouble."

Rin laughed as the tears finally fell from her eyes.