Chapter 29: Preliminary Rounds

Rin watched as the hologram projected itself over the numerous buildings and into the sky. The booming voice of the pumpkin looking man announcing the event in the middle of the night, made Rin want give him to Cerberus for a snack.

Rin shivered as a cold chill crawled up her spine. The preliminary rounds. Man did that took her all the way back.

"Attention all contestants participating in this years Grand Magic Games! GOoOoOoOooD Morning!" The girl glared at the pumpkin man for disturbing her sleep. "To narrow down the 113 guilds in this years games to an affordable manageable 8, let's being in the preliminarily round!"

The girl exited her round and kicked open the one next door, where Fairytail's own contestants were sleeping. She walked over with her hands crossed over her chest.

"Although the number of guilds multiply each year, 'the games have gotten boring now!' Is all I ever hear. Let's widdle them down I say to you, and just give 8 a cheer!" Rin rose an eyebrow, she's been around town and no one had ever said that. Instead there was the budding excitement of the games not dreading them. "The rules for this preliminary round are simple."

The grounds started to shake violently as the rose. Gray even screaming a "What the-" in the background. Rin let the balance over throw her and slam her back into the wall. But she was seriously hoping that it would be a bed instead.

"Now!" The pumpkin man rose his finger. "You will all be participating in a race! The finish line is at the colosseum. Only the first 8 teams to reach it will participate in the new and approved Magic Games!"

Rin got up and stumbled over to the others, rubbing her back to release the stinging sensation. Only to see wooden panels reach and climb for the stars.

"I didn't hit my head, did I?" She mumbled out loud.

"You're free to use magic in any way you see fit! There are no restrictions!" Rin rose another eyebrow at that statement, that seemed a little reckless for the capital to do. "But only the first 8 teams that reach the finish line will play in the next round. However all 5 team members must cross the finish line for it to count." Around her was a collective gasp for some reason. "One more thing," the pumpkin head giggled. "We are not responsible for any loss of life that may occur in the labyrinth."

Rin stood still as the world temporarily blurred around her. Nastu was participating in the games after seven years of sleep. And though Sting was too, she very much doubted that he knew what a life or death situation was like.

"Say what," Natsu's raspy voice echoed.

"So without further ado! Let the Grand Magic Games Preliminary round, Sky Labyrinth, begin!"

Rin turned around to face Natsu, as he fist pumped the air, ready to face the danger. "Stay safe," She whispered as she glanced at him. Natsu grinned as his ears picked up the mumbled words.

She walked out of the room with a scowl upon her face, knowing that the older brother had heard her.

"Of course."

Her frown deepened.

Rin watched form her balcony the bright flashes of color in the sky and of course the hologram the projected the scenes.

She scoffed slightly at the sight of Sting's cocky smile and wink at the camera, as he and his team walked through the door.

But nonetheless she let pride for him fill her. "Overconfident bastard." She smirked.