Chapter 79: A Confrontation

"I need END for Igneel." Natsu spoke. "I was supposed to get it for him."

"I'm serious Natsu I need it. Inside is Tartarus' master inside the book." Grey scowled. "They say he's the most powerful demon out of Zeref's books. This may be the only chance to destroy him."

"And how would you accomplish that?" Rin lent a hand to her brother who lied on the ground amongst the rubble. But she was promptly ignored by both of the boys.

"All I know is I made Igneel a promise." Natsu spoke as got up. As soon as he did the ground seemed to rumble a bit, causing Rin to stumble a bit as it had been unexpected.

"What is this?" She yelled over the noise of the earth's movement.

"I think it could be the F.A.C.E.s!" Natsu grabbed Rin's shoulders as an attempt to hold her down as well as keep himself balanced.

"No..." Rin whispered as she looked around. The statues start to light up the glow around them making the doom in her gut unmistakable.

"Natsu, Rin!" Grey yelled out as the both of them visibly weekend.

"Grey!" Natsu yelled. As he attempted to grab the boy over. The three of them held each other close, trying to support each other.

"You do realize this is only the beginning?" Mard Geer spoke. "Once the seal has been rendered obsolete, my master will finally break. The moment once the mightiest of the etherious has been restored, your species will find itself devoid of magic and any means of opposing us." He smiled.

Rin stumbled forward. "If only he were here." She hissed. "The book he was sealed in isn't around!"

A secondary crash had startled the group as they snapped their head to the dragon that had just dropped from the sky. "It's Acnologia!" His limbs turned upwards and his eyes white as Igneel placed his claws upon the fallen dragon's chest.

"We haven't lost yet humans!" Igneel's gruff voice echoed. "Do not despair!" Her father looked over to the east. "My kindred are free at last! We soar through the skies once again!" Rin dropped to the ground on her knees. Watching the statues come down one by one as each dragon in the distance took them down with a final strike.

"Amazing." Natsu mumbled.

With the last and final tumble of the F.A.C.E statues thanks to the dragons return, Rin turned around from her father's glorious speech and rushed over to where Sting and Rouge lied.

She ran and slid under the rumble and pulled the two boys into a hard squeeze. Only to be partially ignored as Sting had held onto her to ground himself. Rouge seemed to be unresponsive from where he was.

"I don't understand! He was actually alive?"

"We all were," Igneel said. "Skiadrum, Metalicana and Grandina. We all lived in all of you, the dragon slayers. We used a very sacred art to allow our spirits and powers to lie dorment in each on you."

Rin froze. This whole time, her father figure was inside her brother. She whipped her head around to where Natsu stood, face scrunched up and starting to swell from the fight but still confused. He asked questions about why the dragons did this and how it was possible for a human to turn into a dragon.

But all she could do in the moment was be quiet. As silent as a mouse, even when Acnologia took off in flight towards the sky. Away from Igneel.

"Just worry about retrieving that book." Rin shifted uncomfortably once Igneel's eyes shifted over to her form. Once he had looked at her during the whole break, and still he would not address her.

The dark haired girl tried not to let it bother her. She was not the one who lived her life trying and failing to track her father. Nor was she the one who housed a dragon inside her body.

Once Grey and Natsu started arguing she ignored everything else and looked towards the sky, trying to hear the muffled conversation between the two dragons. They were too high in the sky and she did not have enough magic in her body to summon the wings.

"Hmm." A voice echoed softly. It was almost gentle in the way it had Rin sway. A strange rush a familiarity had gone through her. "I see you've lost my book. It was rather important you see."

Zeref had appeared behind them. The girl turned around and almost sunk into the ground.

It was a known fact that she and Natsu looked nothing alike. There were stark differences in appearance and personality besides the similar  tan they've both recently accumulated.

Zeref stood tall and pale with her dark hair and dark eyes. With her button nose and thin smile. The same aura they both had in the midst of their element was the same too.

Rin took a step back towards her brother, almost bumping into him. Natsu grabbed Rin by the shoulder to hold her in place, because he too saw the similarities in appearance. It made him scowl and place him in an even more bitter mood.

"Well Mard Geer, that was a valiant effort." Zeref had started to approach them, "You've come so close to reviving E.N.D." He glanced at the servent on the ground. "You deserve a long rest now."

Mard Geer groveled on the floor as he turned to face Zeref. "Master, I only wanted to fulfill the promise I made to you."

"It sadness me, but you failed." Zeref without any empathy in his empty eyes snapped his fingers, and just like that Mard Geer was summoned back into a book and destroyed.

Rin blanked for a moment. Her eyes continued to roam Zeref's appearance, his demeanor, his likeness to her. She hated it. She hated the fact she looked like such a man, someone who reveled in death.

However, she was just like him. With magic as dark as his, and what she had become, it was like staring into a mirror.