-Chapter 94

-Chapter 94: But I'm Sinking Underneath 

Gai places down his cup and looks across from us, his eyes landing on Aruto. I guess we're here to talk about the next part of the competition. I hope that Gai loses this part so that Aruto won't lose his company.

"Round three of the five-round job showdown will be taking place at court for a trial," Gai says, informing Aruto about the new challenge.

My eyes go to Aruto as a server places a cup down in front of him and Aruto stares at Gai, looking a bit confused. I don't blame him. This is kind of random honestly. A trial? Why?

"A trial?" Aruto asks. He's doing my work by asking questions like that. At least I'm not the only one who does that. 

"ZAIA's representative is Prosecutor Ichimori," Yua says as I scoot a bit closes to Gai. I don't feel comfortable next to any of his representatives.

Gai places a hand on my leg, touching me gently with his hand to comfort me, and I turn my head a bit as the Prosecutor Ichimori pushes up his stupid ZAIA Specs. He looks different from the typical ZAIA representative. He's not as stuck up looking as the others.

"I'll prove that the defendant is guilty and make sure that he gets convicted," he states. What if that man is truly innocent then? Going to put a man behind bars that doesn't deserve it? "That is the job of a prosecutor."

"We would like your side, President of Hiden Intelligence, to prepare a lawyer for this part of the competition," Gai says softly.

"Eh?" Aruto is surprised he's on the other side isn't he?

I turn my head and my eyes go back to Aruto. I remember dealing with something like this with Allen, but not in the court of law. I was worried I would get turned away the final time, but I didn't. Whether that was because of Gai being involved or not doesn't matter to me right now.

"The job of a lawyer is to represent the defendant in order to convince a jury or judge that they're innocent or get them a reduce penalty," Izu tells Aruto. Right, some judges can decide cases on their own if asked. I'm not sure how it is here in Japan, but in the states one can ask for a bench trial instead of one with a jury.

"We will claim victory if the defendant is given a guilty verdict," Yua states.

"So, it is literally an actual competition?" I look down at Gai's hand on my leg. "Aruto will win if the verdict is one of innocence, correct?"

"That is correct," Yua responds. This isn't a fair competition to me.

"But this isn't an easy thing to be done." I lift my head. "Izu, have him turn it down."

"Mari, this isn't for you to decide," Gai tells me. "It isn't between us and them, but me and them."

Izu turns to Aruto. "Aruto, she's right about this not being fair. The conditions aren't fair to us and that makes the showdown's current challenge unfair. The prosecution does not lay charges under certain circumstances. This is too risky for us to engage in."

Aruto looks at Izu and shakes his head a bit. "No, there is a bigger issue at hand here. Using this as a challenge in a competition isn't fair since it can affect someone's entire life."

"Aruto is right," I say, turning to Gai. "Please, reconsider."

Gai looks at me and shakes his head. "Remember, this has nothing to do with you," he whispers and his eyes go back to Aruto. "Yes, lives are on the line for this part of the competition, but you could potentially save the man who is claiming he is innocent by the power of your HumaGears."