AIMING FOR JACKPOT

Anjana's narration :
"Oh no " I thought after hearing that we were called out to work on a new project. Deadlines, nightouts, no breaks scare me the most everytime I hear project, but this time all these things became secondary after hearing that one of us will be given a chance to go on site if they are impressed by our work.
Pavan, I and kriti went back to our cubicles to start our work. Everybody were waiting for something like this, which would help to run ahead in their carrers. And this might be the opportunity which can bring out my true capability.
That night I was lying in bed thinking how to prepare for the project. Payal as usual started her mid night talks on phone. It's 10.30 and suddenly Shruti came to room after attending a party. I was keenly observing her and to my surprise today she was not drunk !😨
"How was the party ?"I asked her. "Not bad" she said removing her eye make up. " Wasn't expecting you this early " I said looking at her. She went to washroom without responding. This chatter box became a silent mouse and I became skeptical
that something must have happened to her at party. She came out and sat on her bed, she looked upset.
" you know ! I have this superpower to guess the amount of alcohol a person consumed just by looking at them. Today you didn't drink or perhaps had one or two drinks !?" I tried pulling her leg. "why are you still awake ?" she finally spoke out few words. "waiting for you dear" I smiled. " Why are you acting like a newly wed bahu ( bride ) in soap opera ?" she asked.
" When I don't have a husband, automatically you are the one I wait for " I said.
She remained quiet. I didn't see her to be this mood-off till now ! 😞
" I also have another power to bring back the normal you. Tell me what happened?"
I tried to comfort her.
" I met my ex !" She said in low tone.
"Oh ! Is he still affecting you ?" I enquired. "It's not like affecting. It's just that I'm not expecting to see shit once again" she replied.
"Hmm... why bother when you can throw it in trash ?" I said. "Yeah! already threw it, but why is he showing up everywhere ?" she said annoyingly.
"Do you know what is the meaning of EX ? It means extinct creature in our lives. No matter how many times they come in your way, they remain extinct . Forget and move forward" I shared some of my knowledge 😛
"Hmm....ok " she smiled and continued, "how come you exactly guessed that I had 2 shots ?"
"That comes from the experience of being your roommate !" I raised my collar. " Leaving things aside ! didn't you get a new boyfriend ?" I asked raising my eyebrows 😣
" No " she said. "why ? I took a lot of risk to give you his phone number , fought with you, and nothing happened ?" I asked her.
" I don't want to take shit once again !" she said. "How can you call mr. Achyuth a shit ?" I opened my eyes widely.
" Yeah..! What does he think about himself ?" she said angrily.
"Haha... What did he do ?" I laughed.
Like a flea in ear she replied," he didn't do anything...I contacted him. I sent a message and he said that he didn't remember me exactly and that he don't feel sorry about forgetting me. Such an attitude fellow ". 😈
" That's his usual way of talking. So don't be offended" I said.
"Now I understand how you live at office working under him!" sighed shruthi. I smiled and asked her to sleep peacefully.
Never thought that a glimpse of her bitter past could upset this bold and brazen girl. I can't be judgemental about her feelings when I know only little about her.
*************
My count down for deadline has begun and I threw away all the laziness and started bending my brain in all directions to finish my work.
With all the strength I finished it and finally the day came where we all are ready to showcase the best within us to impress them.
*************
I, pavan and kriti were waiting at the meeting hall. I started reading my slides and beside me is pk aka pavan sitting in his chair relaxed without opening his laptop. "Looks like you are very well prepared " I said. " Not more than you and kriti " he replied.
" Look akka (elder sister ) you know there are 2 reason for a person to relax without any tensions,
Either they are confident and have mastered everything perfectly and the other one is my reason - doesn't know anything and have no hopes on the outcome " he finished saying his dialouge without full stops.
" A chance to visit on site and grow higher in your carrer. Why loose hopes ? give your best shot" I advised him.
He stared at me for a few seconds and said, "my best shot doesn't even manage to fall near the vicinity of Mr. Achyuth's expectations. Why take stress when you know that you'll fail. But akka (elder sister) it's evident that you took it seriously and worked hard on it."
" Not really ! I did the best I could do. What's with this 'akka' ? why are you addressing me every time as a big sister ? I guess you're elder to me, then I should be calling you 'anna'(elder brother)" I said opening my eyes widely.
" I don't mind who is elder or who is younger. I just want to call you "akka"
and I will address you only as akka, akka, akka...." said pavan stubbornly.
"Have you gone mad? I feel that you must be addressed as "P.K" for sure " I said fuming in anger. 😬
"You call me p.k ? Means powerstar Pavan kalyan ( actor ) Wow that's a great compliment. I don't care what other meaning it conveys" he said.
Innocence or arrogance ? Whatever ! This P.k acts wierd. I stopped talking and got involved in my work. After sometime everybody gathered in our room and P.k was called first to give his presentation.
Then kriti did her presentation. She did really well and P.k's was just above average. After that came my turn and in the end they posed few questions some of which I answered and others could not.
We all sat down and were waiting to know who was the best among us.
Achyuth and nithin sir discussed seriously and then suddenly asked me a question which I never expected. I didn't elaborate much on the exact context but managed to say something. They asked kriti the same question and she gave her own explanation. They didn't ask P.k any question and it became clear that he is out of the race and either of us kriti and I would be chosen.
" After your presentations and listening to your answers, we can't say that neither of you performed upto to the mark, on the other hand you were not below the minimum standards. Believing that you have the ability to work well further on this project, we considered this person" achyuth sir gave a big speech.
I kept my fingers crossed and somewhere had a little hope that they could approve me.
"Sir, you do the honor " said Achyuth. "You are leading the project, and I give you all the freedom " said nithin sir.
I could feel the palpitations and was nervous to know who got selected, but these people are prolonging the useless discussion in the name of "honors". 😫
Achyuth sir looked at 3 of us and revealed, " ok then, kriti welcome to our team you are selected."
Disappointment emerged out of the defeat and all my work went into garbage. I congratulated kriti hiding all my sadness.
**************
That night I couldn't sleep well. What is my fault ? Where did my analysis go wrong ? All these questions marched in my mind. A chance to walk a step ahead and empower my life is now out of my hands...!!