WHEN ALL THE HELL BROKE

Rajesh's narration :
My friend Achyuth and I have known each other since we were infants.We studied in the same school and both our fathers worked together in the same department.
Being the one and only child of a well off family, he got everything in
excess - extra care,
extra love ,
extra attention, and also
extra 'expectations'.
His father, who is at present the joint commissioner of police of Vijayawada has decided to make his son an IAS even before Achyuth was born. Respect and honor from the society matters to them more than eating and sleeping. Like my dad he also thought that IAS was the only job in the world that fetches name, fame and matches the heritage of their family and no other job is as great as becoming collector. We were on the same boat.
Achyuth was a naughty and the most noticed kid in the school, but was also good at his grades which surprised everyone.
He was made a bookworm,learning only those things associated with Indian history and administration which he disliked the most and indeed he never wanted to become an IAS. Also he was forced to stop playing sports with other kids and was compelled to play only chess with those non living horses , camels, elephants and pawns. His thoughts always revolved around gadgets, games and inventions and his mother was supportive at times and gave the freedom to do what he wants in the absence of his father.

Slowly image of his father changed to a dictator in police uniform.
Once during our summer camp both of us escaped and went to play gully cricket where we were caught by the gunman. The person who saved us from the dictator ( Achyuth's dad) was a boy of our age named Kiran who happens to be the Achyuth's gunman's son. He stopped his dad from informing to our dictator.
That was the first encounter of Achyuth with a person who became an inseparable and thick friend later.
Kiran was a silent, intelligent boy belonging to a middle class family. While Achyuth was pressurised to become IAS Kiran had no other aspiration except for become an IAS. In spite of his father struggling to make both the ends meet, he studied hard and got a seat in IIT kanpur simultaneously with Achyuth.
Eventhough Achyuth's father allowed him to take up engineering, he gave an ultimatum that Achyuth has to become an IAS one day.
From ragging to college bunks, from roadside panipuri to Starbucks coffee, from college fests to college politics, from waking up to hitting the sack, they were together all the time. Even during holidays they spent most of their time together, which was supposed to be spent with their families.
Achyuth somehow lost track in the middle of his 3 year at college. He was engaged in college politics and also few fights with the opposition, he even got addicted to weed once upon a time. And it was because of the undue efforts of Kiran, he came out of it.
One mistake by Achyuth where he had a fight with a student who had links with powerful people, put an end to their bosom friendship. On a Saturday night, the opposition framed Achyuth into drugs and unexpectedly that day Achyuth's bag where they put packets of mariauhana was left at Kiran's room.
The police caught Kiran instead of Achyuth, who had no idea of how those drugs came.
The next morning Achyuth tried his best to save Kiran and was even ready to take all the charges on him. Achyuth's father got the information that his son was actually framed, but somehow escaped and kiran was arrested by mistake. Achyuth's father tried his best to bring Kiran out but learned that many powerful politicians were involved and being an officer himself couldn't help out. On the other hand Achyuth claimed that it was his big and kiran had no connection with it. His father was worried about Achyuth getting arrested and cannot imagine his own son going to jail and disqualify for the upsc exam. He decided not to indulge in the case further and insisted Achyuth to stay away and was also forcefully sent to his hometown. Kiran's dream of becoming IAS ended by this falsely accused drugs case.
Achyuth was house arrested for many days. He stopped talking the few words with his father which he usually does. Agony, guilt, helplessness, regret grew into hatred towards his father for not helping kiran.
He equally started hating bureaucrats and Police men. In order to take revenge on his father for smashing Kiran's dreams, he decided to leave India, not letting his father's ambition of making him an IAS officer to happen.
His exam, visa, everything was planned behind his father's back and it was for this reason he came to Delhi, though he received a good pay at an MNC in Hyderabad.
Now only 2 days were left for him to leave, don't know what would happen after this big explosive news.
Anjana's narration :
Gathering lot of courage to tell the truth, I called Achyuth. He refused to attend the farewell party arranged by Rajesh and it was very tough for me to convince him to meet up at the radiostation pub. I could see the mere lack of interest from the time he arrived, but didn't bother and started the conversation.
" Are you going to amputate your own legs because they have unexpectedly hit someone ?"
"What ? Did you call me to ask this question ?" sneered Achyuth.
" Please tell your views. I'll come to the actual matter " I said.
He leaned back on his chair and said, "amputation ? Not really ! "
"Ok. It was not my intention to bring problems to you. But without my knowledge I made a mistake. It was me who told your mom that you're going to do PhD...not Rajesh" I revealed inspite of Rajesh's warnings to stay silent. How can I watch their friendship burning down to ashes because of the problem I have created.
Like the dead silence leading to a fiery storm, Achyuth reacted the way I expected.
"So you are behind this master plan !"
he frowned.
"I...i didn't do it on purpose. I had no idea that you kept things under wraps. I'm really sorry " I apologized.
"Why did you meet my mom ? Why the hell did you talk to her ?" his voice increased.
"I was at Rajesh's house when your mother came and she wanted me to join her for the shopping ....,"
"Oh...so you didn't leave any chance to impress my mother ? You came up with the strategy and within no time, implemented it perfectly. Great ! Are you happy now ?" Achyuth was infuriated.
" Strategy ?! I have already told you, it was a mistake and I knew nothing about your family. There is no reason for me to stop you from going to US " I defended.
" Reason ?" he smirked, " when you like me what other reason do you want ?"
His words came as a complete shock and I went numb.
" I knew that you like me. And for this reason you tried to put an end to my journey to US so that I can stay here for you. Things turned in your favor and the opportunist like you gained everything you wished for. But I 'm not a fool to fall for your fake innocence " lashed out Achyuth.
It turned out way more worse than I expected and one after the other, his allegations brought tears in my eyes.
" I like you Achyuth...but please don't make assumptions that I conspired against you. It's completely false. I accept that it was my mistake to talk with your mom for which I'm extremely sorry" I responded hiding my tears.
"Finally you got what you wished for. why are you sorry ? I should be sorry for coming to Delhi and meeting people like you. I should be sorry for having a family" Achyuth's frustration reached peaks which made me loose my cool.
"Achyuth, I have no problem , if you hold me responsible for the whole scenario. But don't be harsh with your parents. This is the first time I have heard someone being sorry for having parents. We never know what we have got until we loose. They might not agree with few of our opinions and views and don't take it as a foundation to start building up hate towards them" I retaliated.
"Stop acting like you are the only one being humanitarian. Saying few good things doesn't make you appear as an angel to me" Achyuth didn't stop his accusations.
" Please Achyuth, don't misunderstand. Let's put an end to this. What has happened, is not in my hands. I'll talk to your parents, convince them and make sure they don't hold you back. This is not an attempt to woo you, but to correct the mistake i made " I stated.

"No need madam. Please have some mercy on me. Don't become the kindest person on the earth. I'm capable enough to deal my problems. You stay away " said Achyuth joining both his hands together. 🙇
Other people at the pub made faces and looked at us with unasked questions on their faces. I decided to end the conversation here after.

"Ok, as you wish , I won't come in your way. One last thing - No parent would be happy to see their children suffer and one day they will be ready to give up all their egos and ambitions for them. The question I asked you in the beginning, you said that - you don't want to cut down your limb. That is what your father did when you were framed in to the drug case. Even you would have done the same thing if you were in his place. I understand the mental pressure you are having right now, time changes everything. Hope you achieve all your goals"
**********
I came back to the hostel in the evening. My restless heart racing till today for that person has come to an end. Another big blow which shattered my already bruised heart into pieces is the early morning call from my mother informing that my grand mother passed away last night in her sleep.