LAST GIG

Achyuth's narration :
(After meeting Anjana )
I reached my home and the disaster is written all over, when I saw my dad. "Where were you ?" he asked. My mom stood at a corner ironing my clothes and didn't pay much attention to me. I can't even make a proper eye contact with her after the quarrel and arguments we had the other day.
She would have informed and this man came all the way to imprison  and stop me from leaving India.
" With my friends" I replied and started to walk to my room.
"Hey wait ! " he said, as expected. I slowly turned and he asked," Had dinner ?"
It kind of surprised me as he behaved casually. "Nope" I replied.
"Eat mangoes after dinner. I brought them from our farm " he said.
Next he asked about my flight and no wonder the interrogation is going to start now.
"Day after tomorrow " I answered.
He surprised me again by sitting quietly with no more questions. I stood there staring at him with hell lot of questions.Why is he silent ? Is he pretending to not know anything or is he not aware of the matter ? On the contrary to what I expected, both my parents didn't hit back especially my dad.
"How long are you going to stay ?" I enquired.
" Am I bothering you so much ? Don't worry, I won't stay with you for a long time. I have my own work " replied my dad.
"I just asked normally " I put up a facade.That's what I wanted - not to stay with me, told my inner voice.
*******
At dinner, I tried to talk with my mom "Why did you call dad ? Did you tell him ?"
She didn't care to respond and the next moment my dad arrived.
"Achyuth, exactly where are you going to stay in US ?" he asked . I became skeptical about the questions being raised by him and he can turn mad at any time.
"Detroit " I lied to him.
"Whatever, but resign the job once you come back from US. Look at Rajesh. What a great achievement! Take notes and material from him and start preparing for UPSC." he gave the advise which nobody asked for.
I didn't react. " I can't keep on pushing you everytime. Don't waste time and join the coaching " he said.
"Yeah ! He is planning to join online coaching for Civil's after this month. He discussed with me yesterday regarding this. You need not worry about it anymore " answered my mom.
"That's a big news ! " my father's eyes sparkled with satisfaction.
I had no clue of what was happening.why is my mom misleading dad ?
I finished the meal and my mom gave a plate of mangoes saying,
"There's is nobody to stop you from doing things you like from now onwards."
Her words cleared all my doubts.She is helping me leave for US and didn't tell my father the actual reason.
"What did you say ?"asked my dad out of confusion.
"I mean, he can eat his favorite - mangoes " she gave an indirect analogy, which he didn't understand.
" Why didn't you tell daddy ?" I asked her. There was an awkward silence between the two of us and she sat on the sofa with downcast eyes.
" Because I'm not stubborn like both of you " she said looking at me, " I don't know when we'll get to see you once you leave India and for this reason I called your dad to give him the opportunity to say goodbye to you" her voice filled with melancholy.

All my life I have seen her and ever since we got into the tiff, I was sure that she wouldn't let me go to US.
But today she respected my decision, went against my dad and gave me the freedom to follow my dreams, although she is  inviting problems.

**********
Pavan's narration:
I woke up to the call from Anjana in the morning after a binge watching session at Saturday night.
Her grandmother passed away and she told me to inform the matter to manager and HR.
In the evening I received the gift which I and Anjana have ordered last week for Achyuth.
Initially I thought to call and enquire about her plans on meeting Achyuth but later discarded the idea and decided not to disturb her in such hard times.
What should I do with this gift now? She is not here to use it and it is useless for a single like me.
Whatever might be the result, it is heart wrenching to see Anjana, who truly loved Achyuth not getting a chance to propose him due to the unexpected death in her family.
I genuinely want them to marry, and had a dream of becoming mama (uncle ) to their kids. I can't sit and watch them getting separated and finally opted to give the present to Achyuth all by myself !
Achyuth's narration :
Monday - big day for me to withdraw from this place and embrace the new world which I have been waiting for a long time.
My dad left early in the morning, Rajesh went to his grandmother's funeral and my mom denied to come with me for the airport. " You are going to be  all alone ,  don't forget to eat and sleep on time.You might have disowned us but we haven't. Never hesitate to call me when you feel low. My blessings are always with you. Be happy and enjoy your life the way you wished with no restrictions " she said
"Ok ma. Bye " I said and stepped out of the house.
"Achyuth ! " I turned to see my mom who called out my name.
She came to me with a small bag , "you never noticed how much your dad loved and cared. He is aware of your interest in photography and brought this DSLR camera " she said giving me the bag.
" I'll take care of your dad. If anything unexpected happens, please do come to see us if possible" tears flowed from my mom's eyes which she has been holding. I hugged her,
" you need not ask for it. No matter how far I might go, just give me a call, I be in front of you. Take care of yourselves" I too had tears.
Never expected that good byes could move you emotionally to such an extent that you start feeling the guilt of leaving.
**********
I was surprising to notice Pavan at the airport. There was nobody except him who came to give send off. "Thank you pavan for coming " I said.
"It's ok sir. Actually all of us planned to come but everybody were busy with some or the other work. So I came on their behalf " he replied.
We talked for few minutes and then I had to leave for the boarding. "Don't know if it is written or not in our destiny to meet again. I bought a gift for you. Please accept" said pavan giving me the present he was carrying.
" Thanks " I said and started to unwrap it. " Sir, not now. Open it after you land in US. It is not a restricted item you can carry it. " he said.
I put the gift in my trolly bag and locked it. "All the best sir " pavan bid his farewell.
For the last time I took a glance of the sky above and advanced towards the international flight terminal to start the most awaited journey of my life.