WITHOUT YOU ?

Achyuth's narration:

From identifying herself as a corporate migrant worker to not stepping back to face the consequences of her actions - she is humble and brave. A stranger can become her brother and she can put up an unwavering attempt to reconcile a broken relation.
It's been a week and I can't get over her. Somewhere subconsciously I was enamored by her even before and this is how it got transpired only with time.
I have no respect for those who play sympathy card instead of working upto their potential and there's no big empathy for Anjana when I heard about her family issues from Rajesh. Being my best friend's cousin doesn't add any extra favor at workplace and for that matter I was impartial to her many a times.
Don't know why I couldn't ignore that day,  while she was crying over the failed project.
The usual despise I have towards girls who cry for silly things, didn't bother me at that time.
Knowing her capabilities and the dedication, all she required  is a small guidance which nobody gave.
Had no answer to what made me put my opinions and belief's aside for a moment and help her .
Why was I intrigued to know what her downcast eyes had been going through when she was not a part of my team ?
How can a stubborn person like me even change a decision for her and join the trip to North east ?
Can't figure the reason as to what was so peculiar about that girl which is exhilarating and euphoric without  snorting anything or sipping a coffee. Is it some kind of infatuation or anything else ?
Trying hard to forget, but every now and then you come to my mind and disturb the mental harmony.
Infatuation might definitely see the end one day and for this reason wasn't ready to accept that I had fallen for her.
*********
Months passed, another new spring arrived. It's been a year and half journey here in California.
The infatuation that I assumed, haven't ended and it can't be called infatuation anymore.
Is this the strange thing called - Love that's haunting me ?
I miss her silent stares, encounters at the elevator, the clinging clutch on her dress , 'the tragic moments' she faced and arguments with the brother sister duo.
I can just watch that silly liquid timer for the rest of my life thinking of you.
What to do ? Love for you increases day by day.
Millions of times I want to talk and go  back to her but ultimately had to succumb to this wistful longing. How can I face her ? Is she angry with me ?
Did she move on or still love me ?
Is there some other person in her life ?
From HP I came to know that she left the company long ago.
I don't have her phone number and doesn't want to take it from  Rajesh. Searched for her on social media, but the only thing I could find is a 4 year old picture at a college festival on Facebook. She wasn't active since then. Somehow I hesitated to enquire about her from pavan who follows me on Instagram.
"Can I live without her ?!"  this  question  made me impatient and edgy. Eventhough I love her, I wasn't sure of confessing and taking it forward. Doesn't want to end up with a broken heart if she got married or dated anyone.
My research work didn't allow me to visit India not even once. There is every possibility of me dropping the idea of coming back to US if go to India. My 4 year long phd, where I didn't finish even half of it - another reason that pulled me back.
"Kanna you must come India at any cost ! It's an order and book the tickets right now to avoid last minute rush" got a call from my mom on one fine day. My dad is going to retire from the police services next year and I was obliged to go to India.
My mom is worried so much that I might not turn up, but I was dancing inside as soon as she broke the news. How can I miss this opportunity ?! The very next second I searched frantically and booked the flight ticket 6 months in advance not exactly for my father, but to meet Anjana. I repent for the ruckus I made and  gave up all the guilt and the hesitation which has been  stopping  me from contacting her.
What's meant to be will always come back and for now let it ride and hope that she is destined to be in my life. If not in my life, she'll forever stay in my heart for sure.
**********
Counted every single day and night, after I decided to fly back to India. Don't know from where I got  the patience and composure to wait for almost 6 months.
2 weeks left, and I incidentally noticed a post on her Facebook. Graduated from NIT pondicherry. Seriously ! when did she got selected and when did she finish ? Not at all  expected.
Anyway, thanks to god that I didn't get to see the update of her engagement or marraige !
How can  I meet when I don't know where she is living ? Made up my mind to message Pavan and ask for her number. He said that he wasn't in touch with her for a long time and recently got to know that she is in vizag to work for BHEL and finally gave her number.
My excitement got doubled and couldn't wait anymore to see her !
************
Anjana's narration :
Received my hard earned post graduation certificate today. It's unbelievable that my effort to do  Masters had paid off in the very first attempt.
It all looked like a miracle !  how did I manage to come a long way from  absolutely broken and hopeless situations not once but twice - had to deal with  grandma's death, resigning job and leaving Delhi, besides my father's ill health. Our debts were cleared, my brother got admitted into his dream college and now my father can walk and do all his work without any help.
I'm lucky enough to stay with my parents after many years, with a good job security in this beautiful city of Vizag.
There's nothing to look back and what else can i wish for in my life ?
********
I came back to my senses, from the lane of memories. The girl and the guy sitting on the opposite table left and I looked at the cold coffee with lot of questions.
The waiter didn't come even after complaining and I stood up with the doughnut pack to leave. First day of my new office ended on a happy note and  chocolate cake is one thing that has been with me through all my emotions.
I was about to walk down with disappointment of not having it today.
" Cold coffee try cheyi, eppudu Chocolate cake a na ?" heard a voice from behind. ( Why do you eat chocolate cake everytime ? Try this cold coffee )
That voice did sound familiar and I stopped. It was clearly addressing me.
Turned around and froze to the sight of the person sitting on the  table.
          Achyuth ! Am I hallucinating ? He is looking straight into me eyes. Is he the real one or am I dreaming ? I was perplexed and  looked in other directions and  slowly turned back to walk away.
I heard his footsteps coming closer to me.
          " Oye, Anjana Sri lakshmi " he stood in front of me. He is real,not my delusion. Never in my wildest dreams  thought that I would see him again. My eyes rejoiced again after years which lasted only for seconds when I realized the reality - that  I had to forget him.
    " Forgot or ignoring ?" he said raising his eyebrows.
" H..hi....sir " I stuttered.
"Sir ?! Are we still working together ?" he smirked.
  " No....but.... I didn't think it was you and it came out like that... "  I grinned looking at him.
        " I get it....you might be thinking , how and why did this man come here ? Why is he even talking to me ? Am I right ?" he said putting  hands in
Pockets and leaning a little towards me.
           I smiled and asked," how are you ?"
           "Not fine " he sighed. My smile disappeared in less than a second. " why ? " I asked instantly. 
"why don't we sit and talk ?  " he said taking out his hands from the pocket and showing me the table nearby. 

What does he have to say ? Why is he not fine ? Am I responsible for it in anyway ? Is he still angry and holding any grudge against me ?  I was flooded with lot of questions and stared at him.
        " I'm not here to nitpick you. Don't worry " he said noticing my anxiety. Looks like he forgot our past fight and arguments !
I followed him to the nearby table and sat in front of him. He was silent and I couldn't make an eye contact.
" So, how is California ? " I started the conversation breaking the silence.
" Not bad. The beach, the climate,diverse people, almost same like your vizag" he said.
" What made you come here ? Any special occasion ?" I asked.
" Yeah. To meet you " he said glazing at me.   
        I was dumbfounded and couldn't come out of the shock.