ON THE WAY TO WORK

Anjana's narration :

I reached my new room, knocked the door and noticed that it was unlocked from inside . I opened the door and realized there was a girl inside the room lying on bed with shorts, had small eyes covered with large glasses seriously looking at her mobile.
" Hi " I said knocking the door which has already opened.
" New allotment ?" she asked lifting her head from mobile.
" Yeah ! I'm anjana " I introduced my self.
" Ok ! Wait for a moment I'll clear the bed " she said and went towards the bed in the middle of the room and started grabing all her things.
" It's ok !" I said and brought all the luggage inside the room.
-----It was a 3 bedded room of medium size , with attached bathroom and 2 fans, 3 cupboards, 2 tables and a window exactly opposite to the door. Every corner of the room is filled with clothes left to dry -----
This girl....Oops my roommate from now, is already on the bed lying next to window and the other bed near the door is occupied by someone else most probably Shruthi ( Rajesh's friend )
Now I'm left only with this middle bed. Within no time she took all her belongings and put them on her table.
"Those are not mine " she said pointing out the remaining things left on my bed. "Ohk ! Is Shruthi gowda using the other bed ?" I asked her .
" Yeah !....those things belong to her " she said in flat tone almost uninterested.
" What's your name ?" I asked her.
"Payal " she replied and resumed looking into her mobile world.
I silently unpacked my bags and packed all the things in my new room.
After that I took out my mobile and saw 5 missed calls - all from my mom.
----I can imagine the amount of tension and anxiety that would be running inside my mom's mind . I quickly called her and comforted that Rajesh came to pick me up and also helped me to get a room. She sounded relaxed.
----- With drowsiness dancing on my eyes due to sleepless night in train.....I suddenly fell asleep and forgot everything...!

" Appa ! Nanu manege barutilla " ( dad im not coming home.) I heard somebody talking loudly in kannada. I opened my eyes to notice that it was 7.30 pm and a girl with long thin legs in shorts and good complexion, long straightened shiny hair tied in a bun was sitting on the other bed. She must be Shruthi. She finished her talk and looked at me. " Hi ! Rajesh's cousin ?!" she asked. " Yes ! Hi...I'm anjana. Are you shruthi ?" I smiled.
" Yes ! When did you come ? Actually Preethi called me and informed that you would come today, " she said.
" Preethi ?! 😮 Who is Preethi ?" I gave a puzzled expression.
" Don't you know Preethi ? I mean Rajesh and Preethi ?" she looked confused.
" I know Rajesh but not Preethi" I said. " Oh..! I and Preethi work at same place and it's through her ,i met rajesh. Preethi did put a lot of effort in searching for a room in this hostel " she added.
" Really ? I think I should meet and specially thank her " I said... wondering who is she and how she looked like.
" You looked tired. Did you have a good sleep ?" asked shruthi.
" Yeah ! I'm tired and I didn't realize that I slept continuously for 5 hours without eating anything.
Did you have dinner ?" I asked her.
--- my stomach already started making weird sounds----😕
" Nope ! Shall we go together ? " she asked as if she read my thoughts.
We both went down to dinning room. Even though there were hardly 100 girls , but the the noise they make is equivalent to 1000 girls.
We went to serving area, there was chappati, daal, sweet, some other curry and curd. I looked everywhere but couldn't see Rice. I asked shruthi do they serve rice. She smiled and said "very rare,only on special request".
Being a South Indian and hailing from Andhra particularly, rice is the main ingredient in any food we eat.
----Now I must get used to this new taste, no matter if i like it or not ----
I took 2 chappati and curd. While eating shruthi told that she works for a fashion merchandise as a digital marketing intern and Preethi works as design internee there itself. I told my story which brought me here.
" The other roommate. Be careful with her " said shruthi.
" You mean payal ?" I asked.
" Yes. She behaves as if she owns the entire hostel and tries to dominate us" she said. It was quite obvious that these 2 people had differences and are not on good terms.
Because I'm in middle bed....I must be neutral to both of them I thought ! 😋
Next day shruthi told me that she'll take me to a trip to near by places in the evening. I spent the whole day chitchatting with my mom and Rajesh.
I noticed that this payal madam somewhere is similar to what shruthi said.
She spends 1 hour in washroom, talks loudly inside the room and inspite of staying next to me, it's a rare event to witness both of us talk with each other.
I waited till the evening and shruthi took me out. I wore a completely covered patiala dress.... making sure that I don't get any attention. Shruthi wore a jeans with short top.
That was the first time I travelled by metro... pretty exciting.
---- Neat and tidy platforms, air conditioned coaches, at times moving on pillars bypassing all the traffic, it was awesome !! But it is completely stuffed with people and also sacred me a little to see people literally pushing each other to enter and exit at the door !----
We ate panipuri ,noodles and finally by 8 pm we came back to hostel.

In the end I realized that wearing fully covered traditional dress also can draw the attention of people, because it looked like odd man out...😁
The following day being the first day of my office, I couldn't control my anxiety... ..so as usual didn't sleep that night ! 😩
I planned everything for the next day. Got up 10 minutes before the alarm rang, quickly rushed to the bathroom and got ready because payal might use the bathroom for hours and I might get late on my first day itself.
Shruti and I had breakfast, we both headed to our work. I had to go to Noida city centre which is 35 mints, and shruthi has to go to other end of city for her work.
Because I experienced the metro yesterday it was not difficult for me to buy ticket and find out the platform . I took a train and started my journey to the most awaited work place....! Using Google maps and all other details I got down from metro and finally reached my office.