chapter 32: she'll be the one

she'll be the one - shawn mendes (unreleased)

She'll be the one who breaks my heart

She'll be the love I can't let go

She'll be the light who breaks my dark

~

Since that video came out, Shawn has been questioned about it left and right. When fans asked him about it, he would casually dodge the question.

"Shawn, what do you think of Crystal and Aiden?"

"When did you guys break up?"

"Did she cheat on you?"

Articles were even written about them.

"Crystal Paige moves on from pop singer Shawn Mendes to Heroine co-star Aiden Butler."

"Crystal Paige breaks Shawn Mendes' heart."

When the questions became too overwhelming, he decided to take action. At first, he only hoped that they would just eventually stop asking him about it, but he realized that wasn't going to happen until he addresses it.

"You got a minute, Andrew?"

He came to Andrew, his manager, to talk about how to fix the issue. He knocked in his hotel room and walked inside when Andrew replied.

"What's up, bud?" Andrew was having his morning coffee out in his balcony.

Shawn walked over to take a seat across from him. "I'm pretty sure you know what's up."

Andrew put his cup down to focus on Shawn. "Not really. You never talked to me about last winter with Crystal."

Shawn realized only now, that he was so caught up with her two months ago that he hadn't even told his manager their real situation. Sure, Andrew and Crystal met in the cabin before they left for the tour but no one knew why they weren't public. No one asked.

"Well, we dated. We were together. She didn't want to go public at all. So I kept telling everyone that we were just friends. But I'm sure the press assumed otherwise. We stayed together for a month on the tour but sh.t happened with her and that Aiden dude. We broke up and so here we are now."

"Is that why you seemed off these past few weeks? Shawn, why didn't you tell any of us?"

"Well, I told my mom when she was here and Teddy happened to be there when we were fighting over the phone. I guess Teddy went home before she could tell anyone."

"Shawn, you know I'm not just your manager. Your band isn't just your band. You said so yourself: we are family here. We're your friends. You have to be honest with us so we can help you."

Shawn huffed before explaining further. "Crystal and I argued about work. And, how our careers cannot be affected by our long-distance relationship. Around that time, I thought she was right so I kept it to myself because I didn't want to worry any of you and distract you from work."

Andrew sat back in his seat, satisfied that he got Shawn to admit his mistake.

"So what do you want to do about it? How can we fix it?" asked Andrew. He already assumed that Shawn had something in mind when he came to talk to him.

"I have an idea."

"Go on."

"During tour rehearsals in the studio, I showed Crystal my old song, 'She'll Be The One'..."