chapter 28: I still...

rewrite the stars -zendaya and zac efron

All I want is to fly with you
All I want is to fall with you
So just give me all of you
It feels impossible
Is it impossible?
Say that it's possible

~

C: I'm sorry. Pls forgive me. I love you.

Crystal's hand shook as she pressed send. Her hand anxiously shook as she waited for their reply; she had to put her phone down and watch the three dots dance—meaning her recipient was typing.

She had been home in New York for a few hours which she spent mostly crying. The moment she unlocked her house, the tears escaped uncontrollably.

After she closed the front door behind her, she fell on her knees on the floor. Now that she was finally alone, she cried so hard that she physically felt her heart ache.

She was able to pull herself together in the next few hours after that, though her heart was still broken.

Vivian: Oh, Crystal. You are my best friend. I can never stay mad at you. I love you.

V: is everything okay? did you make it back home?

Crystal called Vivian instead of replying.

"Hey," Vivian's said through the phone.

"Hey." Crystal croaked in a quiet voice.

"What's wrong, Crys?" Vivian's best friend instincts kicked in after hearing Crystal's hoarse voice.

"I'm really sorry. I hate to be that friend that calls just to talk about herself."

"That's what friends are for Crys. I'm here to listen. Did something happen?"

"Shawn called."

"Oh? It didn't go well?"

"No," Crystal choked back a sob. "I don't know why I keep pushing him away. I'm so confused! I don't know what I'm doing, V."

"Crys, deep breaths. Deep breaths and tell me what happened."

Crystal followed her advice before she began speaking. "He called when we got to the airport. I guess I forgot to put the phone on mute and he heard Aiden took me to the airport when I said that you did."

"Oh, Crystal." Vivian sighed shaking her head. "You're going to have to start being honest with him, Crystal. Or at least be honest with yourself."

When she only got silent sobs for a reply, Vivian spoke again. "What did he say?"

Still crying she said: "I guess he called to say that he was going to forgive me but then...well yeah I lied again. I told him I'm having a hard time when he's not here and we'll talk about it when he gets back, but he doesn't get back for another month. He said something about making him choose between what he loves to do and me and something about leaving Canada is leaving him too."

"What do you really want, Crystal?"

Crystal didn't really know the answer to that. She's been asking herself the same question everyday since Aiden kissed her. She thinks she has an answer though, but she wasn't sure if its true. "I want him..." She paused. "...here with me." It sounded selfish but also true.

"You're done with work for a little bit. Do you want me to book you a ticket to Europe? I can do that for you."

That thought never even occurred to Crystal. She was on break, and to join him on tour would be perfect. But why didn't it sound as appealing to her as it should be? "I—umm. I'm not sure."