chapter 9: city lights

lights on - shawn mendes

Damn, you look so good with your clothes on
And I'm not trying to come off too strong
But you know that I can't help it'Cause girl you're beautiful

And I can't deny I want your body
But I'm a gentleman so I'll be
The one who takes it slowly
'Cause girl you're so beautiful

~

Shawn would be picking Crystal up in 2 hours. Yet, for some reason the two were very anxious. Shawn wasn't taking Crystal on a fancy restaurant because he thought that whenever someone asked her out to date they would obviously bring Crystal Paige in a luxurious restaurant. He wanted to be different. But, of course, he couldn't help but overthink that he would screw up his own plan. He was pacing around his condo, nipping on his nails as he went over his checklist for the 20th time.

Crystal's bedroom had clothes strewn in every spot, you could barely see the floor.

"Ms. Paige has got a crush." Vivian singsonged from Crystal's bed. Vivian was her PA but has also became one of her closest friends since they spent a lot of time together. She would only call Crystal Miss Paige when she wanted to be annoying.

"What? I didn't say anything about liking him." Crystal furrowed her eyebrows at Vivian.

"Oh. You didn't have to say anything, darling." Crystal raised her brows in question. "Well, its just that whenever a guy asks you out on a date you were never this anxious on what to wear."

"I just want to look nice, V. He's a special friend to me."

"Mmm, and you've never said that about any of the guys who asked you out. Usually you would say: 'He seems nice, thought I'd give him a chance.' And when I asked you how it wen't you'd just tell me that he was so typical." said Vivian.

"Okay, maybe because they all took me to fancy restaurants I don't care about."

"And, where is Shawn taking you?"

"I don't know. He told me not to dress too dressy, though. So I'm guessing were not going to a fancy restaurant." Crystal shrugged examining a shirt.

"Well then there you go. Just pick out something you always wear."

"I can't do that!" She argued tossing the shirt somewhere.

"Why not?

"Because I always wear it."

"Okay, now that makes total sense." Vivian said sarcastically. Crystal groaned at her friend still telling herself that Shawn just wanted to get to know her better as a friend. "Special friend, huh? So tell me do friends kiss now a days?"

"Vivian Brooke Mitchell!"

*

Shawn was on the phone with Camila, bombarding her with questions if what he had planned was alright. "Mila, is this okay? I sent you a photo of how I set it up. Did you look at it? How does it look? Is this even okay for a first date? Am I coming off too strong?"

"Shawn, shut up. She'll love it." Camila sassed over the phone.

"Really?" He said suddenly with a soft voice, imaging how Crystal would react.

"Yes, now hang up and get ready. You are disturbing my binge-watching, Mendes." Camila joked. "Ooh! And tell her I hope we can hang out soon!"

"Will do. Thanks, Mila. Love you." And they hung up.

*

Two hours passed and Crystal was ready. She finally opted for a black long-sleeved turtle neck, blue jeans, and thigh-high black boots. She made it look a little more fancy by accenting it with a gold necklace and a couple rings. She went to go outside to meet Shawn who texted that he had arrived. Expecting him to be waiting in his car, Crystal was surprised to see Shawn in the living room chatting with her co-stars that also stayed in the building.