chapter 10: nervous

nervous-shawn mendes

Caught me staring in your eyes
And I'm not usually like this
But I like what you're doing to me
Ah, what you're doing to me

Upon the next few weeks, Shawn was mostly present in Crystal's work, hanging out in between breaks. It's been weeks after their little date and last kiss, but here had been no talk on what they are. In which Crystal was somehow relieved, she really liked having Shawn around and the mere thought of losing their friendship due to something more than friendship seemed not-so- worth-it to Crystal at the moment. Also, she was still reluctant to relationships seeing that 'work first' seemed to be deeply engraved into her mind.

Shawn, on the other hand, knew he had a little more than a crush on Crystal especially now that he's actually met her. The way his heart would thump faster than usual when he heard her name, and how his breath would hitch whenever Crystal walked in the room wearing her vigilante costume, or just the way he grew nervous when their eyes locked confirmed Shawn's feelings. 

All these Shawn realized over coffee with his friend Ian from home. They were just catching up in a coffee shopbecause Shawn was in town for a while.

"I remember how Aaliyah would always watch Crystal Paige on that Disney show and we tried to act like we hated the show when she would force us to watch it with her. Now you're friends with her. Good times, man. Good times." Ian said feeling nostalgic. 

(a/n: is this how guys talk? lol i have no idea.)

Shawn perked up at the mention of Crystal's name as he remembered teasing Aaliyah that the show was stupid but find himself and Ian laughing with her on the couch later that day. "I remember those times. She's so awesome if you get to know her." He said taking a sip of his coffee. 

"She looks awfully a lot like Charlotte though." Ian said cautiously watching Shawn's eyes, looking for any signs that he didn't like talking about his ex.

"I know that. But we're just friends. They're so different anyway." Shawn looked at everywhere but Ian's eyes. As he looked around he caught a glance of a familiar mop of brown hair waiting for her order inside the coffee shop.

Ian took note that he didn't like talking about Charlotte very much so he quickly changed the topic. Something about how college is like. Shawn wasn't paying attention though, as he watched the brunette grab her coffee and smile at the barista. 

Someone came up to Crystal and asked for a picture. She was glad to do so. The fan was overwhelmed to meet her that she looked like she was about to cry. Crystal tucked the girl's hair behind her ear hoping to calm her down. They hugged and thanked each other before she went for the doors to exit the cafe. 

Her eyes landed at Shawn once outside and she beamed at a familiar face. "Shawn!"

Shawn didn't know if it was because of the coffee he had or Crystal's pretty grey yes but his heart began to race. His hands trembled that he had to put his cup of coffee down.  "Crys, hey." 

Ian looked up to see who it was. He would've reacted differently seeing his childhood crush at his coffee table but he thought that the look on his best friend's face was more amusing. Shawn was practically drooling. 

"Oh, uhhhm. This is my good friend, Ian. Ian, Crystal." He said after recovering. Crystal shook Ian's hand.

"Well, I won't be disturbing your catching up. I have to go pick up my script and look for a local trainer. I have the day off but I'll have to train." Today they weren't filming but that meant work out day for Crystal since she was playing a role that involved a lot of stunts. Shawn, of course, said that today was work out day for him as well. (Not really, but he made every excuse to be around Crystal).