chapter 7: new year's day

new year's day - taylor swift

There's glitter on the floor after the party
Girls carrying their shoes down in the lobby
Candle wax and Polaroids on the hardwood floor
You and me from the night before

December 31, 2018

Crystal left the Mendes' residences after going ice skating. She had to collect her mom and dad from the airport (so they can spend their holidays together) and run some errands such as get her rental car. She wanted Shawn to spend time with his family for the holidays (so did he) so they promised they'd see each other again. That day being  Shawn's new year's party at his condo.

Shawn was scrambling around his place trying to get everything ready for when everyone comes tonight. This wasn't really his thing, decorating and planning a party. He let out an exasperated sigh after about 2 hours of switching up the decorations to hang around. When he finally realized that he spent way too long doing that he grabbed his phone to call Crystal, who he hoped knew a lot more about being organized.

"Hey," he sighed a tired sigh again when she answered.

"Hey!" she replied with her usual enthusiasm. "Let me guess. Not doing too well in party-prepping, Mendes?"

"No." Shawn grumbled childishly as he plopped on the couch. "Please tell me you have the slightest idea what to do?"

"Not really, but yes I will come over and help you." Crystal smiled already getting up to get ready. This made Shawn smile widely too. They hung up and Crystal was ready in a few minutes. She headed for the stores to buy some fairy lights and other decorations and party needs.

*

Shawn's doorbell rang and he sprung up the couch to go get it. Crystal was at the door with a few shopping bags wearing a white shirt, grey sweatpants, and a leather jacket. They greeted each other with a kiss on the cheek. They wasted no time and began decorating.

"Here is this the right spot—" Crystal was putting up decorations when her stool toppled over and she was falling the next second.

"Watch out!" Shawn says catching her by the waist. Fortunately he was strong enough not to fall over with her so he stood there hugging her by the waist as her feet dangled from the floor. "Goodness! Are you okay?" Shawn was worried when she didn't say anything.

Oh she was more than fine. Crystal was began laughing loudly saying "I am such an idiot!"

For some reason he found the whole situation hilarious and was still laughing as Shawn put her down.

"You are something else." Shawn said smirking at Crystal and pointing a finger at her.

They decided that Shawn can put up the decorations and Crystal spot if they're on the perfect spot.

*

"And that, Mendes, is how you throw a party!" Crystal sighed plopping on the couch when they've finished preparing.

"Thanks Crys. "

Crystal headed back to her house (or rather crew house in which the movie crew rented for the actors and producers to stay at while filming) to get ready for the party. Soon enough she was ready. She was dressed in a white dress with (of course) flowers in her hair.

Seeing that she was fashionably late, the apartment was already packed with unfamiliar people.

Shawn was catching up with some of his friends when he saw the door open, and in walks Crystal. She shyly smiled to the unfamiliar faces. Like always, Shawn stood frozen on his spot as he saw her. She was still breathtaking up close, through a tv-screen, or 15 feet away. Shawn's friends nudged him when they noticed his big eyes, urging him to go over to the pretty lady.