chapter 21: ten years

broken home - 5 seconds of summer

They would yell, they would scream, they were fighting it out
She would hope, she would pray, she was waiting it out
Holding on to a dream
While she watches these walls fall down
Sharp words like knives, they were cutting her down
Shattered glass like the past, it's a memory now
Holding on to a dream
While she watches these walls fall down

~
Their little getaway holiday came by faster than they had wanted. They were both pretty busy and Crystal had to squeeze in a few extra hours at work so she can take a few days off to visit her family. She was working at least 20 hours a day but she tried her best not to be too stressed.

"Shawn?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you sure you want to meet my family?"

"Of course, Crys. Im sure it wont be that bad."

"I don't know about that." She tried to mumble under her breath.

Shawn gave her a sympathetic smile and decided it'll be for the best to change the subject. "I've booked our tickets. We leave in like 3 days. Sorry didn't tell you sooner, I haven't had the chance to see you."

They had barely seen each other because of Crystal's excessive working. "Sorry. Have you started packing yet? I should probably start packing, I might not get the chance to do so before we leave."

"Alright, I'll help you."

*

Shawn noticed that Crystal didn't hold his hand in the airport. He wondered why but then got his answer when some fans have spotted them. They took a few pictures, dodging questions.

It was only when they were on the plane that Crystal cuddled Shawn's side and rested her head on his shoulder. He kissed the top of her head and simply ignored the heavy feeling on his chest.

"Crys, we're landing soon." Shawn nudged her awake.

Crystal sat up in her seat as the plane landed. The pair silently went through customs and security. Crystal assumed that Shawn was just tired thats why he's been so silent all along.

"Give me a second to call my mom." Crystal told Shawn who just nodded as she pulled out her phone.

"Hey mom, we're out here and ready to be picked up....Okay see you soon."

Crystal was just about to ask if Shawn was alright but her silver SUV had just pulled up in front of them. The window rolled down to reveal her mom waving with a smile.

Of course, Dad wouldn't come. Crystal thought but shrugged it off.

Crystal popped open the trunk and they loaded their luggages. She opened the middle seat's door for Shawn and she sat in the passenger seat beside her mom.

"Hey guys. How was the flight?" Her mom immediately asked, shooting Shawn a smile in the rearview mirror.

Crystal reached over to give her mom a kiss on the cheek. "It was good. Mom, this is my boyfriend Shawn. Shawn this is my mom." She turned her body so that she can look at Shawn who sat in the middle in the backseat.

Crystal got her grey eyes from her mom. Shawn thought. She still looked beautiful despite her age. Bright grey eyes like Crystal's but her greying hair was blonde unlike Crystal who had light brownish hair, almost a dark blonde. Shawn imagined she looked a lot like Crystal in her younger years.