chapter 20: the sun

sun is shining- axwell & ingrosso

And we're gonna be alright
Dry your tears and hold tight
Can't you tell I got news for you
Sun is shining and so are you

~

Crystal opened her eyes as she woke up. The room was bright for the sun was out. Shawn was asleep beside her, mouth open and snoring slightly.

She exhaled deeply, staring at the ceiling. She felt bad that she somehow always ended up crying every time Shawn tried to do something sweet.

He was so kind, pure-hearted, and... real. A lot of the times Crystal thought he seemed too good to exist. And for someone like him to like her so much that he'd wait years for her, was too much for her to process.

Do I even deserve to be loved like this? She kept asking herself.

She only hoped she didn't hurt anyone as she tried to figure out the answer to her own question.

After closing her eyes for a brief moment and exhaling through her nose, she got out of bed. She stretched her arms toward the ceiling and rounded the bed to place a kiss on Shawn's forehead. She giggled when she pushed his mouth closed. He didn't even stir.

As Shawn slept, Crystal began preparing for something she planned to do that she just thought of when she woke up. It brought a smile to her face, hoping Shawn would like it.

*

"Crys?" His morning voice sounded from behind her.

"Oh hey!" She turned around to see him rubbing his eyes awake and his hair disheveled from sleep.

"What are you doing?"

"Oh! I thought we could go on a little road trip?" She tried to hide the picnic basked behind her but Shawn had already seen it.

"A road trip?"

Crystal shrugged, feeling shy. "Only if you want?"

"Of course, Crys. Why so sudden?"

Crystal made eye contact with him. "Im sorry, I've been off lately. I haven't been feeling myself and I somehow always end up crying when we talk. I think because Charlie's death anniversary is coming up."

"You don't have to apologize, love."

"No. Its just not fair that I lash out on you when I feel depressed."

"Crystal..." He walked over to her and pulled her to his chest.

"I just need to breath, out of the city for a while. A little mental health day." She said.

"Of course. But, you do know I don't have to come, right? If you need to be alone for a few days, I understand Crys."

"No no no. I want you with me." She looked up and smiled at him.

"Okay." He smiled back. "Don't you wanna be with your family on his anniversary though, hun?"

"Umm." She avoided eye contact and pulled away from his hug. "Oh! I need to finish packing! You should pack too, Shawn. Maybe just some extra clothes? I need to go to the store and grab a few things too. Then we can go around 4 so we can watch the sunset." She scrambled around tossing things in her bag.

"Crystal," he called.

"Oooh! I think I need to grab more clothes from the house, Shawn." She was running around the place running her hand through her hair.