chapter 31: 💔

moving along - 5 seconds of summer

Scared of moving on, but you're already gone
So if you're moving on, won't you just tell me?

-

Crystal sighed as she reached her apartment door. She was exhausted from the drive to her parents house. She came to see her parents earlier this morning; she had to get up early due to the 3 hour drive. She had a good time with her parents but she decided it'd be best if she went home for the night because most of the time, if she's around her dad for an extended amount of time, they'd begin to argue. She didn't want that on this special day.

Crystal pushed her key in her door and walked in her pitch black apartment. She was in the process of throwing off her heels when—

"Happy Birthday!" Was yelled loudly and she looked up to see her place filled with 30 or so people—all of whom she loved.

Adelaide was in front of the crowd. She carried a tall cake in a shape of a chef's hat. The numbers 21 sat at the top, igniting like mini fireworks.

"Awwww! You guys!" She felt genuinely loved at that moment.

The crowd began to sing a full song of Happy Birthday and Crystal blew the candles after making a wish. She gave Adelaide a kiss on the cheek, knowing she arranged the whole thing.

Crystal's friends from culinary school, work, and high school swarmed her as soon as Adelaide excused herself to put the cake away.

She had just finished hugging her friend, Lulu, from high school when she felt an arm wrap around her waist.

For a moment, she thought it would be Shawn when she turned around. But she wasn't disappointed to see Aiden's smile when she did.

"Hey, you!"

"Happy Birthday, Crys." He smiled a dimpled smile. Crystal noticed that while one of his arms was wrapped around her, his other arm carried a huge bouquet of red long-stemmed roses.

"Oh, Aiden! These are beautiful!" She gushed. Anyone who knew her well would know that Crystal had always been obsessed with flowers.

"I had my sister pick them out. The prettiest flowers for the prettiest birthday girl." Crystal blushed and accepted the bouquet along with the kiss on the cheek that came with it.

From the corner of his eye, Aiden saw someone approaching them.

"Hey girl. Happy Birthday, gorgeous." It was Courtney who she felt like she hasn't seen in forever.

"Court! How are you?!"

"I'm great, Crys. Our break from filming has been good for me. But I miss seeing you guys."

"Yeah me too! I'm excited to film for season 2."

For a while the co-stars gushed about the upcoming season and what they have been doing while they're on break.

There were a lot of people in her apartment but she honestly didn't mind at all. Having all of her good friends in one room was enough to make her day.

Soon enough, everyone has greeted her and the party officially began. A DJ took his spot in a corner and didn't wait for another second to blast music.

The rest of the night was kind of a blur. Crystal decided to completely let loose tonight to make up for all the nights she moped around in her apartment for the last few months.

They played a game of beer pong even though a lot of them felt the game was too teeny for them. A lot of dancing and drinking.

Crystal was having the most fun she's had in a while. But she decided to take a minute to slow down, so she stepped outside, into the fire escape. She was looking over the railing and onto a wide-awake New York City at one in the morning.