award show

a/n: for context, its been months since crystal and shawn's breakup. however, aiden and crystal aren't dating just yet. 

-------------

He's going to be here.

Crystal took deep breaths as she look at herself through the mirror.

She was at an award show and she was supposed to announce an award for someone.

She was told about it before but her answer was a "maybe I can do it". Not because she was nervous but because her schedule has been busy. She didn't think she would be able to make it but it turns out she was able to, and she just heard Shawn was going to be there.

"Sh.t, this is crazy." She muttered to herself just as Vivian walked in.

"Woah there. You never swear."

"Did you know he was going to be here?" Crystal asked, running a frustrated hand through her hair.

"Well, I thought your 'maybe' was going to be a 'no'." She shrugged like it was nothing.

"Vivian! I haven't seen him for almost a year!"

"You're probably not going to cross paths with him, Crystal. We don't have to stay long. Just present the award and we'll tell them you're in a rush."

"You better hope you're right, Vivian!"

"Yes, yes. Now go out there. Show's about to start."

With one last deep breath, Crystal walked out of her dressing room. As she walked down the hall, only a couple doors down from hers was labeled 'Shawn Mendes'.

She held her breath when she speed-walked past it. Though, she was still near enough to hear it open when it did. She jumped to hide in a corner just in time.

"Andrew, did you know she was going to be here?!" There was the voice that she hasn't heard in a while.

Crystal bit her lip while she tried harder to conceal herself behind a backdrop prop.

"Well, I heard she was offered to present an award but she said 'maybe' because she was busy. I guess she was able to make it." Crystal heard Andrew reply.

Their voices were louder. The sound of footsteps stopped. But what confirmed to Crystal that he was near was the scent of a familiar manly cologne.

Realization hit her like a bus. She had missed him. She missed hearing his soothing voice. She missed his strong hugs. She missed the way his cologne would linger in her sheets.

"Andrew! Why didn't you tell me?! We've been avoiding each other for like a year!" Crystal could picture him running a hand through his hair in frustration.

"I'm sorry, bud. I didn't think it would be that much of a big deal to you." said Andrew.

Shawn sighed. "It's alright. I guess. But she wouldn't be presenting in my category, right?"

"Originally, someone else should be presenting the award for your categories but there could be last minute changes because she decided to come. So, I don't really know, Shawn."

"Dam.n, I wish I don't win anything tonight."

"Don't say that! Let's just go, alright? It'll be fine, Shawn."

In a few seconds, their footsteps began to fade. Crystal stepped out of her hiding spot, sighed, and continued her journey to her assigned seat.

*

His heart was racing and his palms were sweating. He knew he wasn't nervous about the award, but because they had just announced that his category was up next and Crystal had not presented an award yet.

He hadn't seen her yet. He saw earlier that she was assigned to sit a few rows behind him. He avoided watching the monitors in case the cameras would film her for second or two. He really tried his hardest not to even catch a glimpse of her because he knew she'll look pretty all dressed up for an award show. He didn't trust himself that he wouldn't start drooling as soon as he sees her.

Crystal was backstage, equally nervous as Shawn. She's seen him. She thought he looked really good in his light blue suit. When she was seated in the audience, she couldn't help but watch him and catch a hint of his face when he would turn and talk to the person beside him. But now that she was backstage, she could clearly see his face now. There was another thing. The universe was against her tonight: she will be presenting the award for Shawn's category.

It was already certain that he'll see her when she's on stage. She can try to avoid eye contact with him despite him being seated in the front row. But, if he wins this award then'll he'll have to come up the stage and take it from her.

The envelope that contained the name of this year's Artist of the Year felt like it was burning her palms. If only she could read it now, so she can prepare her reaction beforehand—whether it be for Shawn or someone else.

"So you're reading the name and I'll hand them the award?" Aiden was presenting with her. He is one of her co-stars in Heroine. They were mainly invited to present an award to help promote their show.

"Umm, yeah! Yeah, I'll read the name."

"Are you okay? You look a little pale."

Before she could reply stage managers behind them were yelling "We're live" and the crowd began cheering. Then they were pushed out into the stage.

Crystal flashed her smile that she was known for and faked confidence while she strutted across the catwalk. Aiden offered his arm for her told on to until they reached the edge where they were to present.

OH. MY. WORD. SHE. WAS. DAZZLING.

Shawn thought in his head. Literally, the dress she wore sparkled under the bright spotlight and so did she. He was no longer sure if Crystal dazzling was in his head or she really had some shimmer powdered on her. Now, he really couldn't take his eyes off her. For the first time in what felt like years, they were only a few feet apart.

She could see him watching her from her peripheral vision. He's right there! She thought. She couldn't help it any longer; she glanced at him when she looked down to open the envelope.

Her hands were shaking. Her heart was hammering. She was so afraid that her voice would betray her when she read out loud what the envelope said. "Your 2020 Artist of The Year is Shawn Mendes!"

Though the crowd erupted in cheers, she didn't hear any of it. It felt like the world ran in slow motion. Crystal locked eyes with him again while he was getting up from his seat. Then his smile appeared while he kissed his mom and sister on the cheek. He gave Andrew and Brian a hug before he began making his way towards her.

Aiden handed him the award when he was close enough.

"Thank you, man!" Shawn said to Aiden and gave him a manly hug. The two men exchanged a look that told many stories. Just one look and a nod Shawn and Aiden understood that they needed to be civil. That, clearly, Shawn and Crystal are over and Shawn no longer has a say in the choices she makes.

Then he finally turned towards her. He gave her a side hug, but she could've sworn she felt him kiss her temple.

"Congratulations, Shawn." She surprisingly managed to say.

Shawn smiled widely at her. "Thank you, Crystal." Then he turn towards the microphone to thank his family and fans.