chapter 29: scars

intro- khalid
I feel heaven when you're here with me
I feel hell every time you leave

~

"Hello? Hello?! Is anybody home?"

The ringing voice signaled that there was someone at the door. At that moment, Crystal hated that she made her intercom centralized throughout her apartment which made the person's voice just as loud in her bedroom.

Crystal groaned but had no choice but to get up. She has no idea what time it is though she remembers waking up earlier and realizing she has cuts on her arms. She must've fallen back asleep.

She didn't even have the energy to ask who it was. She just really wanted to tell them to go away.

When she swung open her apartment door, there came her second surprise of the day. "Oh. What are you doing here?"

"I told you I was going to stop by. You weren't answering your phone so I got a little worried." He smiled at her like he was having the best day ever.

"Oh, right. Come on in." She said stepping aside to let him in. "Did you get an early flight?"

"Yeah, got here around 7am. So I've rested a little bit before I came here." Aiden settled himself in her living room.

"Crap! What time is it?" When Crystal looked around her apartment, she realized it was a mess. It was dusty because she's been gone, but the spilled wine across the kitchen and shattered bottle in the balcony was quite embarrassing. Aiden seemed to notice but didn't make a comment.

"3 o' clock." Aiden watched the girl frantically run around to try and quickly clean up the floor.

"Oh gosh! I'm sorry I meant to clean but I overslept. Oh this is so embarrassing. I'm so sorry!"

"It's okay, Crystal. I don't mind—"

"Dam.mit!" Crystal cursed because she pricked her finger on a piece of glass.

Aiden jumped up to help her and finally noticed the scars on her arms. "Crystal, are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm fine." She answered too coldly. She continued to pick up the pieces of her heart on the floor while tears were already threatening to fall.

"Crystal, hey." Aiden sat on the floor beside her. Aiden tried to stop her from picking up the broken glass but she swatted her arms away and unconvincingly said that she's fine. "Crystal, stop." He was finally able to get a hold of both of her wrists and stop hurting herself even more with the broken glass.

Her hands were bleeding - though not as bad as her heart - and she was already back to crying like last night.

She leaned her back on the counter behind her while she curled up into a ball. She whimpered and screamed. It just hurt so much!

Aiden wrapped her in his arms and stroked her hair. "It's okay. You're okay."

*

"I'm really sorry you had to witness that. You could say I had a rough night." Crystal told Aiden once she had calmed down.

It was now around 4pm and Aiden had mended Crystal's wounds. She was sat on the couch covered in fluffy blankets and drinking a cup of hot tea. Her arms were covered in band-aids.

"I'm your friend Crystal. It's what I'm here for; No need to apologize."

They were quiet for a while. Aiden was about to announce that he was leaving -in case she wanted her privacy - but she spoke again.