Chapter 42

^Alice Whitlock

●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●-●

She cried onto my bare shoulder as I stayed still while realisation dawned into me. My arms slowly moved delicately to coil lightly around her thin and small waist. My trembling fingers grasped lightly at the cloth of her beige dress that was on her back. She wailed when a sob wracked through her chest and her fingers clutched harder onto my back. Her tears bursted forth her eyes like water from a dam as she sobbed unceasingly into my shoulder as the pain rattled through her body. The pain of finding me after an eternity.

Her crying was ferocious yet quiescent; the muscles of her chin wobbled against my shoulder as she wailed silently along with some gurgling cries of pain that slipped out of her throat. Her voice dwindled as she croaked out is a distraught tone, "G-Grace.....*sobs*.....I....I c-can't b-believe.....i-i-it...." My chest burned while it felt heavy as if it was filled with lead. This was really happening; my dream. It wasn't any illusion or even a dream like I would usually get. No.... It was real. And yet, I couldn't believe my eyes, the feeling I was getting from being crushed against her weak and bony body.

Brick by brick, my walls came tumbling down; imaginary walls I had created in my mind as boundaries that I shouldn't cross or break. My walls..... the walls that held up me to get by everything.... and which made me strong.... they just collapsed. I felt my chest tighten while a sob was punching through it. I bit onto my bottom lip as knots formed into my throat along with my saliva thickening under my tongue. What was happening....? Was this.... was this the happiness that I was feeling because I had finally found her or was it the sadness I was feeling as I knew that she was still alive in this dark and vicious world?

"H-How....?" I asked while I stared at the wall in front of me with my icy and melancholic eyes still wild. Something deep inside of me kicked, wanting to burst out of me. My breath was shaky and uneven as I tightened my hold around my sister. We were united, finally. And now, I wasn't going to let her go anytimme soon. I would hug her and never let her go anywhere far from me. That was my elder sister; she was alive but how? I thought that this vicious world had already killed an innocent soul like her. And why was she stuttering? What happened to her?

"A-Are you really......A-Alice?" I asked with a dry voice as some sobs punched through, ripping through my muscles, bones and guts. My heart twisted itself as I looked down at her face that was removed from my shoulder. The tears fell and dripped from her cerulean glassy eyes, making wet tracks on her face and down her wobbling chin. Now, her red, tear-rimmed eyes stared back into mine that were trying to push back the wetness that was overcoming them. I couldn't help but run a hand through her rich auburn hair with there were also some ginger streaks hiding under her mass of long hair.

I stared down at my elder sister's eyes from which water streaks were falling down to wet her flustered cheeks. For me, everything had stopped around us and I focused on only the girl in front of me. Although being a year elder than me, she was still short, stopping just under my chin. I had nearly forgotten how much her warm eyes would resembke like our mother's. Although our mother had green eyes, Alice's eyes were a mixture of that viridescent colour along with that bluish little flecks that crept around the edges, the same colour of our father's eyes.

I always envied her eyes because I had always wanted green eyes like my mother. I still remember that Ryan's eyes were that warm greenish colour of my mother's. Alice and our little brother were so lucky. But I did like my red hair, which reminded me of our mother. That fresh grassy colour swirled into that Atlantic colour as she stared at me with teary eyes that crushed my heart into little pieces. She had grown up, just like me. She was no longer the small child that I would play with but she was still the same. Her characteristics and the habit of crying she always had. She was really different from me.