Chapter 37

Alexander's POV

I grumbled groggily as I hugged the figure in my arms tighter. Grace's incredible warmth seeped right into my cool skin. It was amazing as what I would only feel cold. Human bodies were amazing warmth packets for vampires. But I had noticed that she was warmer that she usually was. She buried her face more into my neck and let out a little cute yawn. She was still on me from last night, with her arms coiled around my neck and her legs on each side of my torso.

I ran my fingers into her bundle of hair, which made her let out a little purr which sounded like a groan. Even though my eyes were completely closed, not wanting to open, I knew that it was time for me to wake up as I had work to complete. But that warmth was the only thing that was keeping me glued to the bed. "Grace?" I managed to grumble out as I continued to stroke her soft red hair. She shifted slightly onto my body, placing her face into the other the side of my neck as she groaned out of frustration.

"What?" she asked as if I was responsible for the crime of waking her up. I forced my eyes to open to look at the clock and found out that it was about 7:45 am, meaning that I woke up fifteen minutes late. I should have come home earlier last night to be able to get more sleep but I had decided to stop by the mall for some clothes for my kitten. Winter was nearing and she needed warm clothes along with a little something. But after last night, I was quite angry at her for disobeying me.

"Are you feeling okay? You are kind of warm." I said as I remembered that she still had those remaining injuries and marks on her back. Last night when I had found out about these, I was only seeing red as I was furious. I still didn't know where she had gone or who did this to her but I wanted her to tell me herself. But this time, I didn't want to use my powers to look into her memories or hear her thoughts but I wanted her to tell me. I didn't know why she wouldn't tell me. Was she keeping something from me?

"Hmm..." she responded by a groggy sound and continued in a sleepy voice, "Feeling so tired...... and so drained. It feels like I'm dying..." Her complaints made a point. This definitely meant that she had gotten a fever. This explained her hot temperature. I moved my face so that I could look at her closed eyes. I moved my hand to her forehead and felt her temperature. She was so hot, burning with a fever that rendered her weak onto my chest. She was even sweating slightly while her hair was slightly wet from her perspiration.

She groaned again annoyingly and hugged my neck against her feverish face, which felt quite good. I removed the strands of hair that were covering her cheek and tugged them behind her ear. "You are ill, kitten. You have fever. That's why you're feeling like this." I explained as I took hold of the remote of the air conditioning and immediately turned it off. I shouldn't have turned it on last night after she had just bathed in cold water and when she was in just panties and one of my dress shirts.

"Ngghh! Why did you turn it off? I'm hot. Turn it on. And I'm not ill. I'm just a bit tired and went to sleep very late." Grace complained as I sighed at her childishness. Not listening to her, I placed baack the remote onto the table while she tried to snatch it from my hands. I beat her to it and placed my hand onto her head, resuming to stroke her hair again. But that little devil didn't give up and tried to take the remote from the table even if her eyes were still glued with sleep.

"Don't do that, kitten." I warned her and caught her hand into mine. She whined childishly, trying to get her hand out of mine but I held it tighter. "Ahh! My back. Alexander, it's paining." she suddenly said with a painful voice while she ceased struggling. I suddenly became alerted as my eyes were robbed of their sleepiness. I hurriedly set her hand free and used mine to place it onto her back to know what was wrong. Grace's eyes were still closed as she continued moaning in pain