126 • Dana

The piano play gave her goose bumps when M. Shadows' voice echoed through the clearing in the woods. A small crowd had gathered on the chairs in front of the aisle. There weren't many people, but everyone who was still alive and meant something to them, was there. 

Juice was already waiting for her. Nervously she listened to the first verse, holding on tight to her brother's arm. The moment the guitar solo started, she was supposed to walk to the arbor. To the love of her life. Her husband. 

'Your hazel-green tint eyes watching every move I make
And that feeling of doubt, it's erased
I'll never feel alone again with you by my side
You're the one and in you I confide

And we have gone through good and bad times
But your unconditional love was always on my mind
You've been there from the start for me
And your love's always been true as can be

I give my heart to you
I give my heart 'cause nothing
Can compare in this world to you.'

The words were so true. Even though they hadn't written the text themselves, the song seemed to be written for them. Tears were already plaguing her eyes. She turned her face towards her brother, offering him a shaky smile. The first half of the song was over. It was time for him to give her away. 

Happy nodded. He was wearing black slacks and a white shirt underneath his kutte. The shiny shoes he had bought for the occasion. Arm in arm they walked across the path to the arbor that was decorated with flowers. Step by step, the train of her gown dragging across the floor. 

In front of the arbor Juice was waiting. Butterflies swirled through her stomach when she saw him standing there. He was wearing a beige suit with a dark red tie, greeting her with a dazzling smile. Kozik was standing  behind him as his best man, his hand on the groom's shoulder as if he wanted to keep her soon to be husband from running towards her. 

She pushed the bridal bouquet in her brother's hands; she didn't want it to be in the way once she would shove the ring around Juice's finger. Happy leaned into Juice, squeezing his shoulder with a smirk on his face and whispering something in his ear. Then he turned around and sat down next to their father. 

She looked at Juice. There was so much love in his eyes; it was pure admiration. Oh, he was so unbelievably handsome. Their hands laced. 

"You look so beautiful," he whispered. 

Dana squeezed his fingers. Her veil was tickling her shoulder as she moved her head to the side to aim her glance at the civil servant that would marry them. 

"Dear family and friends," the man started as he caught his glance. "We are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Juan Carlos "Juice" Ortiz and Dana Lowman. Our thoughts are also with the ones who were forced to leave them and can't be with us today, even though we believe they look down on us with smiles on their faces. In this respect, we will think in particular of Tabitha Lowman, mother of the bride, and Tabitha Ortiz, daughter of the bridal couple. We also commemorate some of their friends that are no longer with us: Opie Winston, Chibs Telfort, Gemma Teller-Morrow and Cherry Manning. After a dark period in which their love was tested to the extreme, they have decided that they want to share their lives, and that life will start here, today, as husband and wife." He looked from Juice to Dana and back. "Your love is beautiful, is special. As an outsider I lack the words to describe it, and so I would like to ask you to declare your love yourselves."

Dana took a deep breath, nodded and glanced at Kozik, who handed her the typed speech. Her fingers were trembling when she folded it open. It was just a reminder, the words she wanted to say to Juice were etched in her heart.