065 • Kozik

Kozik was the last one entering Chapel, closing the door behind him. It wasn't hard to predict how this conversation would go, but he would do his best to prevent another grave from being filled. 

"I don't have to explain to you what Cherry did," Clay started. Although a few members had patched in since that day, everyone knew about the tragedy that happened two years ago. "She ratted on us and we all know the price she's gotta pay."

Kozik's eyes shot to Juice. He was leaning back in his chair, his eyes dark. Between his fingers dangled a cigarette, and Kozik had to admit that he disliked his current demeanor; being so nonchalant about the death of a young girl. 

"Can't we just excommunicate her?" Kozik suggested. "She got no one else. Isn't that enough punishment?"

"She was already excommunicated," Juice grunted. "What's the point of excommunicating someone if she ignores it?"

Back then it hadn't been a club decision, but a decision Juice had made on his own. However, nobody had disagreed with him, so there was no point in bringing it up. The faces of the others told him that they were picking Juice's side, although Sack had bent his head. He might not remember his ex, but he probably knew that the real Sack hadn't been supportive of this.

"She just wanted to say goodbye to Dana, like we all did."

Juice snorted. "She had no right to visit her grave. She has to pay for what she has done. I can't stand the fact that she's still breathing while my girls are dead. Because of her."

Kozik refused to admit his defeat already. It just didn't feel right. Yeah, Cherry had made a horrible mistake – but what good was it going to do them to kill her? There was enough blood on their hands. He didn't believe that killing Cherry would give Juice real satisfaction. Not when she knew how wrong she had been and was prepared to face the consequences of her deeds. "Hasn't there enough blood been shed? Maddox took so many people from us, you really want to give him this satisfaction too?"

"This isn't about his satisfaction. It's about mine. I want her dead. I want justice."

Kozik's eyes glided across the faces of the others. Clay and Jax could easily immerse themselves in Juice's mind – after what had happened to Gemma, they understood his thirst for blood. 

"Dana wouldn't have wanted her to die," Kozik said quietly. "She would have considered Cherry as a victim, just like she was." He thought about the time she had killed Opie. That had been a similar sick game. Dana had to choose between Opie and his kids; Cherry between her old man and friend. 

"Well Dana is dead so we can't ask her!" Juice snapped. 

But she isn't dead. If she ever comes back, she won't forgive you for murdering her friend to honor her. He was thinking about saying those words out loud; to admit that she was still alive. But then what? It wouldn't change Juice's opinion about Cherry. Plus, he was probably called a traitor too and it wouldn't save the girl. 

"You know her. You know she wouldn't want this," Kozik said nevertheless. "She made mistakes too – we all did. She wouldn't want more people to die because of her."

"Well nobody else made mistakes that killed my daughter!" the man snarled, and his face was turning red. Whether he would start to cry or smash the place up, was hard to tell. 

Kozik sighed, rubbing his face. He didn't know what more to say. He didn't want to cause a schism within the club, that wouldn't be good to anyone. Even if he would be the only one voting against Cherry's death, he knew Juice wouldn't let her go. Then he would kill her secretly, and he didn't want to burden his friend with that. 

Juice wanted to follow the club rules this time, which was already a contrast with how he had dealt with Lotte's betrayal. 

"What do you think?" he asked, looking at Sack. "I know you can't remember her, but still."

Kip glanced back and shrugged his shoulders. "We have those rules for a reason. Rats deserve to die – whether we feel attached to them or not. Isn't that how the club works? 

Kozik sighed. It wasn't as black and white as he stated. Sometimes people deserved a second chance, especially if they would lead that life far away from Charming. He however realized no one was sharing his opinion. 

"Fine. I'm down with whatever choice you make, although I don't agree."

. . .

The girl was shaking as they took her to a corner of the workshop and sent everyone but the Sons out. Kozik found it hard to look at her. Hopefully he glanced at Juice, hoping her fear would soften his heart, but the look in his eyes was steely. 

And if he went through with this, his heart would only grow colder.

When she started to cry, something broke inside him. He couldn't help but wonder what Juice would have done himself if he had been in Cherry's shoes – what he would do if he got the chance to trade Dana for one of his brothers. 

Kozik pulled Cherry in a hug, rubbing her back. "It will be quick," he promised. 

It was all he could say. His throat felt swollen – it was a horrible situation. 

Sobbing, she clung to his body. "I don't wanna die," she sobbed. "I don't wanna die, please. Please."

He thought back to what Dana had done; how she had hold Opie while killing him. Pulling his gun, he pushed it against her head while still holding her close. He didn't care if Juice wanted to do it himself. He was the SAA, this was his task. 

The gun shook against the girl's head. 

"Sorry," he whispered.

But he couldn't do it. He simply couldn't pull the trigger and he lowered his arm. Tears were stinging in his eyes. "This is so wrong!" 

Hands pulled him away from Cherry. From the corner of his eye he saw how Juice was raising his own gun. Without a shred of doubt, he shot the girl through the head. 

Kozik wiped his eyes. He had seen many people die, but it never had hit him like it was doing now. He tasted bile. 

Clay laid his hand on Juice's shoulder and squeezed. "I'm proud of you, son."

His president's words filled Kozik with disgust. 

Juice didn't say a word, he turned around and left the workshop as if it all meant nothing to him. 

Kozik looked at the girl that was lying on the ground, her eyes wide. Blood gushed out of the wound in her forehead. Sack walked past his brothers and crouched down next to his ex's body. Stroking the hair from her face, he kissed her softly. Briefly, he wiped his eyes. 

Kozik knelt down next to him. "You remember her?" 

"No," the boy muttered. "But it hurts nevertheless."

Kozik bent his head in agreement.Yes, it does.