056 • Happy

This chapter is dedicated to whitetiger48817 because she asked for a call between Happy and Dana, which inspired me to write this chapter. Thank you for your input! :) 

. . . 

There weren't many things that could throw him off guard. 

Hearing his sister's voice after two years however surely was one of them. When a guard had picked him up because there was a phone call for him he had been suspicious; he was sure that Maddox had something to do with it. But that it would be Dana herself on the other side of the line... no, that thought hadn't crossed his mind for a second. 

With his forearm he leaned against the wall, his face buried in the cavity as he took a few deep breaths. He knew better than to cry in jail. 

"Hey." His voice sounded gravelly. 

He had no idea what to say to her – and she had only uttered a greeting herself too, he doubted she thought differently about it. Her breathing sounded heavy as well. 

"Why callin' me?" 

It sounded rude, but no other words crossed his mind. What else should he ask? How she was doing? He already knew the answer. 

"I behaved well the past weeks and got permission to call someone."

He was quiet for a while. "Why not callin' the idiot?" He was sure there was a lot more she could say to her lover. 

"I wanted to talk to you. You're my brother, Hap, and we haven't had a normal conversation in years."

"And you think this is the best moment? Talking by phone while I'm in jail?" He snorted. 

"You may not have noticed, but I don't have many opportunities."

In the past she would have snapped these words at him; now she rather sounded tired. 

"I miss you. And I know that's weird since we haven't spend that much time together. I've always been a selfish, stubborn and self-righteous little bitch. Sorry for that. Our relationship could have been so much better if I'd been a little more mature."

Happy still didn't know what to say. He preferred to hung up, he hated this emotional shit. He however also knew this could be the last time that he could speak to her. If there was something he wanted to tell her, he had to do it now.

"I'm sorry," he said. "For underestimating him. For falling for that stupid trap and not being able to protect you. You came to me for protection and I failed."

"I never should have come. So many people have died because of me. So many people are broken now."

He squeezed his eyes when he heard her quiet sobs. He wished there were comforting words, but there weren't. He couldn't tell her that things would be all right and even the promise that he would find her he couldn't live up to.

"It ain't your fault," he said nevertheless. "The club made some bad decisions. You were the only one who didn't underestimate him. I'm sorry girl. I'm sorry." His bottom lip started to quiver. All the shit she went through right now... none of it would have happened if they hadn't treated her ex like an average arrogant prick. She had warned them; it had been their own arrogance leading to their downfall. 

"I'm sorry for what I yelled at you. That time you dragged me out of his house. When I screamed that you were a rapist, that you used to beat me up."

The memories stung. He had always shaken them off, but the accusations had been going around for a long time in their home town. "You were just a dumb teen."

"Yeah..." The lighter tone of her voice showed him that she was slightly smiling. "I know I never said it to you, but I love you Hap."

He pursed his lips, a tear rolled down his cheek. 

"Don't make this sound like a fuckin' goodbye." His voice was shaky. "Dane you can't give up. We're gonna find you, we..."

"Maddox cut his ties with the sex industry and sold the brothels. You won't find him. Your brothers have wasted two years of their lives on me; it's enough now."

"You gotta kill him," he grunted. 

"I can't."

"Of course you can!" he snapped. "We share the same blood, the same blood like or father. Fuck it, you've killed someone before!"

"I don't wanna argue again, Hap. I know what's best for me, for all of you. Trust me. And let me go."

Angrily, he shook his head. "Fuck you. I can't..."

"Exactly. You can't do anything. You're locked up. If they ever set you free, you shouldn't throw away your freedom. I'm going to tell you the same as I told Juice; your own happiness is your strongest weapon. Break Maddox's control over your life by accepting your loss and pursuing another kind of happiness."

Happy clenched his jaws. He would never accept his loss, never. 

That wasn't who he was. Maddox would pay for what he had done to his family. 

He didn't know how, he didn't know when – but it would happen. He swore it on his own life.

"I have to go. I love you Hap. Never forget that."

He gritted his teeth. 

I love you too kid. 

The words were on the tip of his tongue. He however couldn't say them out loud; it would sound like he was giving up on her.

Something he would never do.

. . .

Dana ended the call when he didn't say anything. Wrapping her arms around her knees, she cried quietly. She had thought that the conversation would bring her peace, relief, like the time she had said her goodbyes to Juice, but she had forgotten how stubborn her brother was – how different he was than Juice. Beautiful words would never convince him of anything. His heart wasn't wounded like Juice's had been; his was burning with hatred. Time could heal wounds, but could it also extinguish the flames of hatred? 

One day, she would look him in the eye again. 

One day, she would tell him that she had killed Maddox. Then his eyes would beam with pride, his lips would form a satisfied smirk. Then they would finally be able to restore their relationship. 

But to get to that point, she needed to be patient. 

And she needed to die. To completely surrender herself to Maddox, so he would fully surrender himself to her too.