123 • Juice

Even thought he thought that Casper felt comfortable around him, he was still afraid he was just imagining it. Nervously he wiped his clammy hands to his pants. What if the boy said no? 

There wasn't much time to stress about it; the doorbell rang. Juice took a deep breath, patted his pocket and noticed the little box was still in there. Hopefully he would get the chance for the second proposal at all. If Casper wasn't ready, he would wait longer and try harder. 

He opened the door and let Casper and Dana in. With shining eyes the boy looked up to him. "Mommy told me you got a surprise for me!"

He raked his fingers through his blond hair. "You're absolutely right. Here, let me take your coat."

He waited until the boy had wormed his way out of his coat, then he put the piece of cloth away and also took Dana's coat. Before they headed for the living room where Casper had already disappeared into, he pulled Dana in a hug and kissed her deeply. 

"Everything is ready," he said. "I hope he likes it."

"Of course he'll like it." She stroked his cheek. "Don't worry love. You two needed some time to get used to each other, but he's very fond of you."

Juice closed his eyes as his forehead rested against hers. His life had changed so much the past weeks; he still found it hard to believe that all of this was real. He couldn't even remember the last time he'd felt happy. Even during the start of their relationship they'd always been plagued by fear, and now that fear was finally gone. The doorway to happiness was opened and with each day passing by they took a step closer to it.

He took Dana's hand and led her inside the living room. Casper was running around, looking under the table on his hunt for presents. Juice headed for the extra room and motioned the little boy to come over. 

"Come take a look in this room."

Casper almost tripped over his feet as he crossed the room, grabbing Juice's leg to keep himself from running against the door. Giggling, he looked up. "Can I open the door?"

Juice nodded. Nervously he squeezed Dana's hand. 

Casper opened the door, peeking inside curiously. Dana gave him a little nudge, making him step into the room. Juice and Dana followed. 

The smell of wallpaper paste was still in the room. Casper stood in the middle of the room and spun around. He looked at the dark blue walls with the rockets, planets and green aliens painted on it. Then he walked to the bed, stroking the bedding that was also decorated with planets. 

"Why don't you close the curtains for me," Juice said. 

Casper went to the window and closed the curtains. Juice switched off the light, where after the glow in the dark stars at the ceiling started to glow. 

"Wow!" Casper exclaimed. "So cool! Are these real stars?"

"They're fake." Juice let the boy look up in wonder for a while, then he switched on the light. 

Casper turned back towards them. "Is this Mikey's new room?"

Juice shook his head, let go of Dana's hand and stepped towards the boy. He crouched down so their eyes were at the same level. 

"I would really want you to live with me and Mikey. Together with your mother. I –" He took a deep breath, suddenly he started to feel emotional. "I made this for you kid."

Casper stared at him in the eye. Nervously, Juice swallowed. 

"Would you – would you like that? To live here?"

The boy looked around, lacing his fingers. "Will Daddy live here too?"

Juice bit his lip. In a flash he imagined another child's voice asking the same question to Fye. Quickly he pushed away the image. He didn't want to think about his son or daughter which he might never meet. 

"No," he answered quietly. "Your father has his own house, and you can still have sleepovers there. But I – I would really like to be a bit of a Daddy too."

"Will I have two Daddies?" he asked, frowning. 

Juice nodded hesitantly. 

"Hmm." He looked from his mother to Juice, and then he started to beam. "I like two daddies! Then I get more birthday presents!"

He chuckled. "Yeah kid, you'll get twice as much presents."

"Yay! Then I want you to be my other Daddy." He spun around, then he jumped on his bed, cheering. 

Juice didn't get up yet; he turned towards Dana, took her hands and lifted them to kiss her knuckles. 

"I love you baby. Almost five years ago I went down on a knee too. In a Ferris Wheel, only wearing a diaper. I don't think I can ever do better, so I'm not going to try it. So much happened the past years, we both have been with other people. But Dane... My heart was always yours. We've lost so much, but our love has never faded. And I really want to seal our love; in front of the whole world I want to promise you that I will always be there for you and that I will love you until the day I die." Contrary to last time, he felt less nervous, although his fingers were slightly trembling as he pulled the box out of his pocket and opened it. "Dana Lowman, do you want to marry me?"

With a wide smile Dana looked down on him, then she fell down on her knees and took his hands. Tears were shining in her eyes. "You know that answer damn well, Juan Carlos. There's nothing I want more than marrying you, than becoming Dana Ortiz."

Juice cupped her jaw with his hand, kissing her until he felt a little hand on his shoulder. 

"What are you doing?" Casper asked. "Are you hungry? Are you eating each other?"

Laughing, Juice and Dana pulled back their faces. 

"This is what adults do when they love each other very much," Dana explained. 

Casper wrinkled his nose. Then he lost interest in the kiss and looked at the box in Juice's hand. "Is that for Mommy?"

Juice nodded. "Yes. This is a sign that I want to stay with your mother for the rest of my life. This way, every man will know that she has a boyfriend and that we are soon going to marry." He took the ring from the box and shoved it around Dana's finger. 

Then they got up, hugging each other tightly. Shorter than he wanted, for Casper pulled at the hem of his shirt. 

"We're going to pick up Mickey from school? I want to show him my room. Now we will be brothers, right?"

Juice's lips lingered a little longer on Dana's, then they let go of each other. 

"You're right kid. I'm sure he loves to have a little brother."

Casper beamed with pride, taking their hands and dragging them out of the room. 

Juice's glance crossed Dana's, and he smiled. He couldn't remember he'd ever felt so happy.