Son, I'm Your Father

Jin Qingyan was sprawled across the ground with his head throbbing from the impact. He looked up at her and began laughing hysterically like a maniac.

Noticing how elated he seemed even though he had just been attacked, An Xiaoning could not help but wonder if he had gone berserk over the years and had just been released from an asylum.

Just as she was about to turn around and leave, she realized that his initial laughter had turned into tears, causing her to be slightly panic-stricken.

Jin Qingyan slowly got up from the ground and onto his feet. “You’re the only one who dares to treat me that way too,” he said, staring at her.

An Xiaoning smiled at the sight of a figure dressed in red approaching her slowly from behind Jin Qingyan. She then began walking towards the figure.

Thinking that An Xiaoning was walking towards him, Jin Qingyan stood rooted to the ground. To his surprise, An Xiaoning walked past him and continued moving forward instead.

Jin Qingyan turned around to see that it was Gu Beicheng.

Clad in a red suit, Gu Beicheng was immaculately dressed for the occasion.

Jin Qingyan hurriedly followed behind.

“Why are you here?”

“You didn’t even inform me that you were back. I wouldn’t have known that you returned if I didn’t see the photos of you on the news,” Gu Beicheng said to An Xiaoning.

“Didn’t I tell you over the phone that I’d be coming back to attend Yangyang’s wedding? My luggage is at her place now. After the banquet, I’ll be collecting my belongings and make my way home.”

“Have you lost weight again?” Gu Beicheng asked, reaching out to tuck her hair behind her ear right in front of Jin Qingyan.

“No I didn’t. Why don’t I go with you to collect your luggage after the banquet lunch?”

“Sure. I’ve given the betrothal money 1 on your behalf.”

“You’ve given the betrothal money? How does this concern you in any way?” Jin Qingyan hissed.

Gu Beicheng chuckled and said, “I can’t possibly ask for a free lunch. I didn’t notice you were here.”

How dare he say he didn’t notice my presence when I was standing right in front of him? Jin Qingyan thought.

Clenching his fists tightly, Jin Qingyan questioned sternly, “Gu Beicheng, did you fabricate Xiaoning’s death?”

“Are you nuts? Why would I do that for no rhyme or reason? You were the one who pulled her out of the soil in the secret passageway. Shouldn’t you be clear as to whether she was still breathing or not at the time? If you could create a clone who’s identical to Xiaoning, why can’t I? This one’s a clone too,” Gu Beicheng retorted.

“She’s not,” Jin Qingyan said firmly.

“Oh? Have you developed bionic vision?” Gu Beicheng sneered with raised brows.

“It’s none of your business. Get your claws off her hands,” Jin Qingyan snapped in sudden exasperation.

Unfortunately, An Xiaoning was not on his side.

“Daddy!”

Upon hearing the sudden piping voice of a child, Jin Qingyan turned around to see a little boy walking towards them. The boy seemed to be referring to someone amongst the three of them. Staring at An Youqing’s face, Jin Qingyan was struck with a sudden illusion of seeing himself as a child as he began to find an uncanny resemblance between An Youqing and his younger self.