3: Drunk on His Bed

Staring out of the window, An Xiaoning continued, “I have no idea why, but ever since we got married, Shi Shaochuan had always disliked me — we’ve never shared the same bed. Later on, his grandfather’s illness deteriorated, and he passed away shortly after. Ever since, my presence in the Shi family seemed almost redundant. Wait, shouldn’t you be more curious about why I ended up at your doorstep?”

“Well, to be honest, I’m more interested in finding out what else you’d wish to have, other than money,” replied Jin Qingyan.

“I wish to have a warm family,” replied An Xiaoning.

He had wanted just the same. With a slight smile, he stared coldly at the road ahead.

Making things clear beforehand, An Xiaoning said immediately after they arrived at his home, “I’d like for you to pay me half of the agreed sum in advance. You can pay the remaining half after the ritual is completed tomorrow.”

“Why are you rushing me? Rest assured, I will pay you what is due. But first, let me take a shower,” Jin Qingyan said in response, loosening his tie and taking off his coat.

He then put on his bedroom slippers and went upstairs while An Xiaoning waited for him in the living room.

Ten minutes passed. Then twenty… and now, thirty…

Yet, he still hadn’t returned.

Not wanting to wait any longer, An Xiaoning proceeded to look for him upstairs.

The moment she entered his bedroom, she was greeted by a Jin Qingyan who was dressed in nothing else other than a bathrobe, his back facing her. It was nothing like she had expected.

Jin Qingyan turned around and questioned, “Getting anxious?” His lips thinned into a smirk at the same time, startling her.

Not feeling like herself, An Xiaoning felt her heart racing out of the blue as she stared at him. “I-I-I… decided to come up to look for you because you haven’t returned even after a long time…” she said with a stutter.

“Are you going to barge in without knocking, even if I’m showering?” Jin Qingyan asked, voice delicate.

Is he implying that I was being impolite? An Xiaoning thought to herself.

Upon hearing his words, she blushed with embarrassment and wished that the earth would swallow her up.

“Of course not, you’re reading too much into things,” she answered.

“Come here,” instructed Jin Qingyan as, baring his olive skin, he sat on the sofa and poured two goblets of wine.

An Xiaoning proceeded to sit opposite him. “This is a cheque for 100 thousand yuan,” said Jin Qingyuan as he slid her the cheque.

Surprised, An Xiaoning asked, “Aren’t you afraid that the effects of my ritual are only temporary?”

“Well, you can be sure that I’ll hunt you down no matter where you go, if that happens,” answered Jin Qingyuan. Offering her a goblet of alcohol, he continued, “Try this. It’s a drink you’ve never tasted before.”

An Xiaoning picked up the goblet and gave it a sip. “What type of liquor is this?” she asked curiously after finding that it had a unique taste as he mentioned.

“It’s a concoction I mixed myself, which I named ‘Dreamyanghe’,” answered Jin Qingyan.

“What does ‘Dreamyanghe’ mean?”

“Dreamy Yanghe liquor.”

An Xiaoning enjoyed a drink every now and then, but she had good control and was never an alcoholic. However, she could not help but continue to down this liquor, sip after sip, goblet after goblet.