29: It'll Depend on Your Performance

An Xiaoning pursed her lips, understanding what Jin Qingyue meant. “You’re right, I’m aware of that. Your brother is indeed very outstanding. But I’m one-of-a-kind myself. I don’t just marry anyone who’s rich and famous or powerful,” she said half-jokingly.

Jin Qingyue looked up at her and asked curiously, “Then, why did you marry my brother? Haven’t you two only known each other for a short amount of time?”

“Time has nothing to do with love. Your brother and I are in love with each other, so we got married,” answered An Xiaoning as she shot Jin Qingyan a glance.

As if she had just heard the greatest joke ever, Jin Qingyue burst into laughter and sneered, “Perhaps it’s true that you love my brother. But him loving you… I highly doubt it.”

Trying to resolve the dispute, Long Tianze interjected while driving, “Your brother is here, isn’t he? Why don’t you just ask him yourself?”

“Who said you could interrupt?” snapped Jin Qingyue, completely disregarding the fact that there was a stranger lady opposite her. “The one my brother likes is Sis Rui’er,” she sneered.

“Shut it!” bellowed Jin Qingyan coldly, finally breaking his silence. “If I knew you’d be so angsty, I would never have brought you along,” he continued.

Jin Qingyue was dumbfounded. She remained silent and continued playing her mobile game, knowing that she had enraged her brother.

An Xiaoning chuckled nonchalantly. She leaned her head on Jin Qingyan’s shoulder, then closed her eyes to get some rest.

The sky had turned dark by the time they arrived at the peak of the mountain. They worked together to set up the tent, while Long Tianze whispered softly to Mo Li, whom he had pulled aside, “Do not breathe a word about what you had heard today, not to a single soul. Got it?”

“We’ve been friends for ages. I’d know better than to do that.”

Giving her a pat on her shoulder, Long Tianze said, “I knew I could count on you.”

Gathering around the barbecue pit they had set up, the group sipped on some beer and enjoyed themselves, although the night breeze was a tad bit chilly.

When it was time to sleep, Jin Qingyue was allocated to the same tent as Mo Li. However, she objected, “Long Tianze, you may share a tent with Mo Li. I want one for myself.”

“Do you really think that’s acceptable?”

“I don’t care. I just want to sleep alone in the tent. I’m not used to having someone else around,” she firmly rejected.

An Xiaoning interjected, “Mr. Long, how about you share a tent with Qingyan while I share one with Mo Li? Let’s just do that.”

“Come, let’s take this tent,” suggested An Xiaoning as she inched forward to hold Mo Li’s hand.

An Xiaoning thought that that would be the best solution since Mo Li was not Long Tianze’s girlfriend. After all, the problem would not have existed in the first place, otherwise.

However, Jin Qingyue had thought otherwise. She felt that An Xiaoning was intentionally going against her wishes instead. The matter had indirectly caused Jin Qingyue to detest her sister-in-law further.

In contrast to Jin Qingyue, Mo Li had begun to take a liking to An Xiaoning.

With that, the night crept by peacefully.

An Xiaoning woke up early in the morning, even before dawn arrived, and she could not fall back asleep. Mo Li had also woken up shortly after. The two began chatting merrily while keeping their volume down.