84: Taking a Nap in His Bedroom

The servants served the cake on a cart, which Gu Dongcheng proceeded to cut while everyone raised their glasses for a toast to the joyous occasion.

An Xiaoning felt a sudden nudge at her leg when she was eating her slice of cake. She looked up and coincidentally made eye contact with Gu Beicheng.

It had been a while since she last saw him.

Apart from his immaculate features, the blue diamond on his earlobe was his most striking and outstanding accessory, which never fails to catch her eye.

He picked up some cake with a fork in his right hand and began to chew, all in a slow and composed manner. “I don’t usually have a sweet tooth, but I’ll make an exception since it’s Brother’s birthday today,” he said while eating the cake.

“You seem to be enjoying the cake though, you haven’t stopped chewing ever since you started eating,” Mrs. Gu said as she glared at him. “By the way, I went to the beauty salon today and everyone kept asking me if the both of you are attached yet. Tell me, are you?” she asked her sons.

“I’m not,” admitted Gu Dongcheng.

Noticing that all eyes were on him, Gu Beicheng quickly defended, “Why are you all staring at me? I’m not, either.”

“Don’t you love womanizing and dating different women every now and then? Have you changed your ways lately?”

“Since when? That’s not true. I just haven’t met someone I truly adore. I’m so sick of most women nowadays, they’re all the same — sharp, awl-shaped faces, augmented breasts, and a paper-thin figure that makes them seem malnourished. It really puts me off whenever I see one,” he denied.

“I’m glad and relieved you think that way. At least I won’t have to worry about you bringing a demoness-looking woman home in the future.”

An Xiaoning burst into laughter and interjected, “Godmother, has that always been your main worry?”

“Of course, those women out there are shameless, and they’re all bent on marrying into a wealthy family. By the way, Xiaoning, you may just call me ‘Mother’ in the future. I already treat you like my own daughter, isn’t it time you see me as your own mother too?”

“Sure, I won’t call you ‘Godmother’ from now onwards, then. But, only on the condition that you and Godfather pay me to do it,” An Xiaoning teased coaxingly with a smile.

Mrs. Gu rose from her seat immediately and said, “Sure, I’ll go get it now.”

Everyone began to giggle merrily while Mrs. Gu headed inside to bring two red packets containing a hefty sum. “There’s a cheque of 500 thousand dollars in each packet, both will add up to a million. Is that enough?” said Mrs. Gu as she shoved the red packets into An Xiaoning’s hands.

Nodding fervently as she kept the red packets, An Xiaoning answered, “Yes, it is. Thank you, Father and Mother!”

She exclaimed loudly, feeling overjoyed. To An Xiaoning, there can never be too much when it comes to money.

Mr. and Mrs. Gu were just as elated about their newfound daughter. Seeing how happy An Xiaoning was when she accepted the red packets, Gu Beicheng could not help but let out a laugh.

After lunch was over, An Xiaoning gave Fan Shixin a call and instructed him to bring over a birthday gift that would suit Gu Dongcheng. The weather was merry, and An Xiaoning began to feel slightly sleepy as she sat on the swing in the backyard of the Gu family mansion.

“Didn’t sleep well last night?” Gu Beicheng asked, having noticed the fatigue on her face.

“Yeah…” answered An Xiaoning as she began to recall the night before, where Jin Qingyan resorted to every means to get intimate with her. Her blood began to boil at the thought of it. “I’m feeling a little sleepy,” she continued.