42: Are You Game Enough?

She stuck a hand out to flag down a taxi. Unexpectedly, her stepfather got into the back seat.

When the car reached the entrance of Wei Ni Estate, Chi Rui’er intended to stop the security officer from allowing him in. But before they even went in, her stepfather remarked haughtily, “The man you’re with now is called Jin Qingyan right? When I see him later, I’ll tell him about us.”

“What exactly do you want?” Chi Rui’er scowled at him. “Why on earth are you being so shameless!”

“I’ve already told you, you better not provoke me. I have nothing but a mouth that has no qualms about saying anything at all.”

Chi Rui’er finally went back to her own home.

Her stepfather flashed a gloating smile, knowing he had gotten his way.

The moment the door closed, Chi Rui’er was forcefully held from behind by him. She kicked her legs while struggling to break free. “You bastard, let go of me!”

She turned her head and took a huge bite on his arm, then continued to bite it desperately. Immediately after, her body was thrown back and landed heavily on the floor. Chi Rui’er only felt her brain was being blown. Everything before her eyes went blurry, and then she lost consciousness.

“…”

“…”

“…”

When she woke up, she realized that she was lying naked on the bed. Her clothes were all over the floor, and her stepfather was nowhere in sight.

Thinking that it was Jin Qingyan’s birthday and that even Chi Rui’er had bought a present for him, she felt that as his wife, she had to have some form of expression.

An Xiaoning wrote Jin Qingyan a handwritten letter at the store, then went out to the streets when it was 6 o’clock.

She bought a watch that was rather costly, then brought it home.

When she saw his car at home, An Xiaoning placed the gift in her own bag and got off the car, carrying her bag.

He was sitting before the dining table getting ready to eat. Seeing her return, he called out, “Come and eat.”

An Xiaoning went forward and was not in a rush to present her gift. She sat down and started to eat.

“Auntie Chen, do you have some chilli sauce and fermented bean curd?”

“Yes, give me a moment, Young Mistress, I’ll get it for you this minute.”

A moment later, Jin Qingyan saw her scooping out a tablespoon of chilli sauce and a piece of fermented bean curd, mixing them together with her rice. Then she placed a big spoonful of it into her mouth. Her expression and the way she was devouring it showed she was enjoying it so much.

He simply could not understand it at all.

“Mixing them all together, I’ve lost my appetite just looking at it.”

An Xiaoning shrugged her shoulders. “Why is that? As long as it tastes good, isn’t that good enough? Whatever we eat comes out afterwards anyway.”

The rice he was about to swallow immediately stopped at his throat. He murmured, “We’re eating, can’t you say something nicer.”

An Xiaoning grinned. “I don’t have nice words but plenty of awful things to say.”

“Nothing good comes out from a filthy mouth.” He reached out for his handkerchief to wipe his mouth.

An Xiaoning lowered her head and ate heartily, saying after she was done, “Today’s your birthday, I’ve a surprise for you.”