77: Missing Her

“Of course not, that’s why I’m here to clarify things with you,” Pan Zhenghui hurriedly explained.

“Chief Pan, I’ve read her birth characters and it says that she’s already dead. I can provide you with a piece of information which may be of help in your investigations. Two lives were lost in this case: she was pregnant at the time of her death. You may carry on to investigate who the father of the child is. We used to be relatives, and she’d also sought help from me before her death. I suppose you’ve heard about that too. She said that that man had abandoned her and chased her out of the house. In my opinion, I don’t think it’s possible for it to be a case of suicide.”

“Why is that so?”

“She will never kill herself. Chief Pan, I’ll keep a lookout for details regarding this matter. Although Wang Fangfang and I are no longer relatives, I’d still like to know if the police are capable of avenging the dead.”

Having understood what she meant, Pan Zhenghui said immediately with a nod, “Our purpose as the police is to serve the public. Rest assured, we will definitely get to the bottom of this matter.”

With a faint smile, she said, “I hope… you’ll stick to your word, Chief Pan. Don’t let the public down. I’m aware that some things may not be within your control, but I hope you’ll still stay true to your morals and conscience.”

“Yes, of course. I shan’t impose on you any further. I’ll make a move now,” said Pan Zhenghui, feeling a strange sense of nervousness as his heart began to palpitate upon exchanging glances with An Xiaoning.

“Alright, take care, Chief Pan,” said An Xiaoning as she stood up to see him out.

Jin Qingyan arrived home as soon as Pan Zhenghui left in his car.

“Why did the police come to visit?”

“Wang Fangfang, the woman whom Shi Shaochuan had an affair with and was my cousin in the past, had gone missing. I read her birth characters and discovered that she’s already dead, so is the child she was carrying at the time.”

“Was she pregnant with Shi Shaochuan’s child?” asked the quick-witted Jin Qingyan.

“Without a doubt, but I didn’t reveal that to the police. They should be able to find out about it very soon, though. I’m guessing that he’s related to her death, in some way. I was blind to have married a scumbag like him. To be honest, your sister is digging her own grave by being together with him,” she said sternly.

Furrowing his brows, he held onto her hand and said firmly, “I don’t wish to see Qingyue ruin her own life in front of me. I’d like to change her fate.”

“You may do so if you’d like. However, no fortune-teller with genuine abilities would be willing to help you do that without any returns. I suggest you look for someone else. Besides, I was taught by my Master that there are some things that are fated, that cannot be easily changed on purpose.”

“Aren’t you money-minded?”

“My life means more to me than money,” An Xiaoning said with a smirk.

“I’ll look for someone else then,” he said as he took her hand in his.

Upon feeling the gentle warmth of his hand, An Xiaoning could not help but say, “There may be some dishonest practices which may help. Not for long, however.”

“Yes, I understand.”

“I think you should first seek the approval of Father and Mother before going ahead with it. It would be easier with their help.”