30: All Alone, Empty, Cold, and Lonely

“So, you’re blaming me now?” he asked with a smile.

“Who else should I blame?”

Having recalled that they were no longer going on their honeymoon trip, An Xiaoning asked, “Are you going back to the office for work?”

“Not for a while. Though we’re not going on our honeymoon trip anymore, I’d like to take a few days’ break. Unfortunately, without my wife at home, I’ll be all alone, empty, cold, and lonely.”

“…” An Xiaoning sneered, “You’ll be lonely and empty? Go look for the goddess of your dreams, then.”

He kept his eyes fixed on the traffic in front and did not answer.

The car pulled up at a spot not too far away from her workplace. An Xiaoning adjusted her face mask and alighted.

——

Jin Qingyan drove away. His stare turned cold the moment he was reminded of her words earlier.

“Babylifewasgoodtomebutyoujustmadeitbetternull:Ilovethewayitstandbymethroughanykindofweathernull…” went his ringtone. He pulled over again to answer the call.

“Hello.”

“Qingyan, would you be sad if I died?”

“Rui’er, did something happen to you?”

“I don’t wish to live anymore… beep beep,” said Chi Rui’er. The sound of the call ending followed.

Not having a single idea of what had happened, Jin Qingyan rushed over hurriedly and arrived at Chi Rui’er’s place in no time.

After he pressed the doorbell multiple times, the door finally opened slowly. Chi Rui’er stood at the door, pale as a sheet, clad in loosely-fitted pajamas. Her eyes were swollen; she seemed to have cried for a long time.

“Qingyan, he doesn’t want me anymore,” she cried with sorrow while hugging him tightly.

Startled, Jin Qingyan entered the house while holding her in his arms and closed the door behind him.

“What actually happened?”

Chi Rui’er remained silent and continued to tear up uncontrollably.

“Have you eaten?”

“No,” she answered, shaking her head.

He stood up and headed to the kitchen, only to realize that there were only some bell peppers, noodles, and eggs left in the refrigerator.

Thus, he made her a bowl of noodles with the ingredients he had found. “Quick, eat up.”

Chi Rui’er broke into tears again as she looked at him. “Qingyan, I must’ve been so lucky to have met you. Ever since we met, you’re the only one who’s genuinely treated me well, all these years, regardless of what happened. I was blind not to treasure you. But now, you already have a lawful wife,” she said as she continued to cry even harder.

With trembling fingers, she picked up the chopsticks and struggled to pick up a few strands of noodles. She then pushed the noodles into her mouth and ate slowly.

Jin Qingyan remained quiet as he watched her finish the bowl of noodles. He then reached into the pocket of his suit for a clean, white handkerchief and handed it to her.

Chi Rui’er took the handkerchief and wiped her mouth, then held it in her hand.

“Deep down, I’ve always known that I wasn’t the only reason why you and Gu Beicheng don’t get along. He’s also your rival in business. Well, he’s not going to treat me well if he doesn’t genuinely love me. I’ve always found myself stuck in ironic circumstances my whole life. Some things are always around when I don’t want them. Yet when I do want them, I often realize that they’re no longer there,” she reflected solemnly.