25: You Idiot

“It’s indeed a way out, but I can’t do this for life. It’s more taxing and harmful to my health than leaking Heaven’s secret.”

“That’s true. But, Sister, how did you get on this path?”

“Me? I was abandoned by my parents at my Master’s doorstep on the mountains. Master passed away a few years ago, and thus, I decided to leave the mountains,” answered An Xiaoning succinctly.

“Oh, so that’s how. You must have considered your Master to be your greatest kin.”

With a nod, An Xiaoning said, “Indeed. Don’t you think the production unit we joined seems rather low-budget? Notice how they didn’t even ask to check our identity cards before hiring us.”

“Perhaps every production unit is different.”

The clothing coordinator called for Mei Yangyang the moment she finished her sentence. She then hurried over before even finishing her meal.

An Xiaoning proceeded to the dressing room only to be told by the makeup artist that they were going to be filming on the mountains that day. The other actors involved were waiting in the room with their faces done, and all she had to do was to touch up their makeup.

She had meant for An Xiaoning to follow the production unit to the mountains to film, without the need for the makeup artist to tag along.

She agreed immediately, got all her beauty and makeup tools ready, and stood at the side to wait for the female lead, Sun Weiwei.

After the makeup artist finished doing Sun Weiwei’s makeup, An Xiaoning stood up, thinking that she was free to leave. Little did she expect that Sun Weiwei’s assistant would remind her at the last minute, “Sis Weiwei, your sponsor had asked for you to upload a selfie of yourself holding up a bottle of beverage onto Weibo in the afternoon 1 .”

“I’ll do just that. How annoying,” Sun Weiwei lamented in irritation.

She reached into her purse for 5 yuan and handed it to An Xiaoning. “Go get me a bottle of Brand X green tea,” she instructed.

An Xiaoning took the money and immediately went to buy the beverage.

There was a huge crowd of fans waiting at the door, perhaps because they had gotten the news that Sun Weiwei was going to be involved in outdoor filming that day. An Xiaoning took about 20 minutes to and fro. The very moment she entered the dressing room, she was faced with a lashing, “Did you die outside? You took forever!”

“There were too many fans outside. I had to exit from the back door to go buy the drink,” explained An Xiaoning calmly.

Sun Weiwei grabbed the green tea beverage from An Xiaoning and her purse from her assistant before leaving the dressing room, wearing a cap and shades.

“Follow along, quick,” the makeup artist signalled.

An Xiaoning nodded and followed closely behind Sun Weiwei and her assistant. She watched as Sun Weiwei greeted her screaming fans excitedly, a completely different person from the Sun Weiwei back in the dressing room.

Sun Weiwei managed to make her way into the nanny van, escorted by her bodyguards. Meanwhile, An Xiaoning boarded the coach and followed the rest of the production team, including the videographers, to the filming location.

The location of filming was on Heyuan Mountain, which was situated in the rural area of the city.

Unthinkingly grasping her clothes tightly, An Xiaoning felt extreme chill the moment she alighted from the coach. “What type of place is this? It’s so different from the city! Why is it so cold?” fumed Sun Weiwei as she got down from the nanny van.