4: My Duty Is to Bring You Glory

Facing his back, An Xiaoning pursed her lips and checked the time on her mobile phone. "It's almost 8 AM. I'd better get going and sign the divorce papers with Shi Shaochuan at the Civil Administration Bureau," she said hurriedly.

--

An Xiaoning arrived at the Civil Administration Bureau, only to find that Shi Shaochuan had unexpectedly arrived before her.

She alighted from the car after instructing Jin Qingyan to wait at a parking lot farther away.

An Xiaoning and Shi Shaochuan were the first couple of the day to file for a divorce at the Civil Administration Bureau, the doors of which opened punctually at 8 AM in the morning.

"Pass me your personal identification card and household register," instructed Shi Shaochuan.

Doing as she was told, An Xiaoning handed him the items.

He then submitted their personal identification cards and household register, along with the relevant materials required to file for a divorce, which was processed rather quickly.

"I had the best sleep of my life last night, knowing that I'll never have to see you in my home again," said Shi Shaochuan, looking at An Xiaoning as they exited the Civil Administration Bureau.

"Don't rejoice too soon, Shi Shaochuan. I bet you don't know the real reason behind your grandfather's wish for you to marry me," An Xiaoning retorted.

"What is the reason?" asked Shi Shaochuan.

"It's because he asked about your fortune - all your marriages are destined to fail, no matter how many times you get married. I would be the only one to stay with you forever, if only you'd choose me. Unfortunately, you didn't know any better."

An Xiaoning answered him confidently, showing a contented smile.

Shi Shaochuan watched as her figure receded.

"You're just a swindle trying to fool me with your nonsense!" he exclaimed, but only after she was far away from him.

As she was approaching Jin Qingyan's car, she tore the certificate of divorce into pieces before disposing it into a dustbin nearby. "Let's go," she said, hopping onto the car.

They returned to Jin Qingyan's home for breakfast before heading, along with his family members, to the house where the parents of the deceased child were living in.

Upon understanding their purpose of visit, the parents brought them to their child's grave.

An Xiaoning placed the paper clothes together with the gold ingots and handed them to Mrs. Jin so that the older woman could burn them. Meanwhile, she began a chant. After she finished chanting, she turned to the child's mother and said, "Your child would like to have a piece of your clothing as an emblem of remembrance. Why don't you burn him this piece you're wearing? His eyes have turned red from continuous crying. What a poor child."

Upon hearing An Xiaoning's words, the child's mother broke into tears yet again. She removed the cardigan she was wearing and dropped it into the fire.

At the end of her ritual, An Xiaoning said, "He's gone now. It's time for us to leave."

On the journey home, she couldn't help but notice the child's mother tearing up uncontrollably. In a bid to comfort her, An Xiaoning said, "This is your child's destined fate. Try not to be too upset about it. He used to be a servant boy at the Temple of Tudi[Tudi: a Chinese mythical god - God of Earth]. He ought to return to the Heavens after becoming your son. That's just his destiny, except as his parents, you do deserve some sympathy."