Sealed with Love

The officer stood up and answered firmly, “Of course we’re teaching him a lesson. What else could it be? Ms. An, you don’t have to get so worked up. We can’t go easy on criminals like him.”

“Criminal? Have you got any evidence to prove that he had indeed committed theft?”

“Ms. An, could it be that he’s your friend or relative? Is that why…” said the police officer, seemingly hinting at something.

“Sorry, but I don’t know him at all. I just happened to know of his birth characters a little while ago. I’m asking you a question. Bring me the evidence,” An Xiaoning snapped angrily.

“Someone reported him and even provided a surveillance camera footage. Take a look yourself,” said the police officer, handing her the surveillance camera footage.

The footage playing on the computer screen showed that the youth had indeed taken away a mobile phone from the table.

“Who was the one who reported him?”

“The person who reported him is right outside.”

Without hesitation, An Xiaoning ordered, “Bring him in.”

“Although evidence is key in our country’s judiciary system, some things may not always be like what they seem on the surface,” An Xiaoning added.

Staring at the person inside, she instructed, “Open the door.”

The police officer opened the metal door from inside, allowing An Xiaoning to enter. She squatted down beside the youth and questioned, “Could you tell me what happened in the footage?”

With a nod, he answered, “I’m a service staff at the bathhouse. After getting into an argument with the owner, he decided to sack me. Thus, I told him to tabulate my wages, after which he instructed me to bring him his phone which was sitting on the counter.”

“You must be in a lot of pain,” An Xiaoning said with a look of pity in her eyes.

“Yes. Thank you, Sis.”

“Bear with it for a little bit more,” said An Xiaoning, giving him a light pat on his head before standing up. The man who reported the youth was then brought into the interrogations room. An Xiaoning could not help but get reminded of Bai Duocai at the sight of him.

“May I ask, are you his employer?” asked An Xiaoning.

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you want to pay him his wages if you decided to sack him? You even tried to punish a 16-year-old with such an unscrupulous method, do you really think you’re being smart?”

The owner of the bathhouse was taken aback by An Xiaoning’s words. Failing to recognize who she was, he retorted, “Aren’t you being a little unreasonable and inappropriate, female police officer?”

“Compared to what you’ve done, I don’t think I’m being very inappropriate. What’s your name?” asked An Xiaoning.

“Ma Yuelun.”

“And your birthdate?”

“10th of June, year XX. Why do you need my birthdate for investigations?” Ma Yuelun asked in puzzlement.

“What is the exact timing you were born?”

“I’m not quite sure, but my mother said it was ten something at night.”

“Where do you live?”

“Are you doing a background check?” he snapped, getting a little impatient and frustrated.