Chapter 24: A Double Surprise

We felt the truck pull to a stop and for a moment, we thought maybe the truck had stopped by a traffic light or was held up in traffic like it had a couple of times before. But this time, the engine died down and there was silence. The five of us Toxins looked at each other wondering what was going on.

"Guys," said Mike as he first broke the silence. "I'm scared."

"I feel like I'm in a horror movie," said Zoey.

"I wonder where we are," said Daniel.

"Sam might be right. They just brought us out here to be slaughtered," said Christine.

"It was only a joke, Christine," I said.

"Well, if we think so, Christine, at least I'll have cake to eat before I die." Daniel approached the cake and I quickly held his shoulder and drew him back.

"Sam!" he complained as he looked at me.

"Are we forgetting something?" I asked. "We're supposed to be acting scared. Now that the truck has stopped, the driver will probably be wondering why we are so quiet."

"Oh, right," said Zoey. "Besides, this isn't fun anymore and I really want to get out of here, so..." She turned around and started to bang on the walls of the container, "...HEY, LET US OUT OF HERE!"

We continued to bang on the walls and calling out for help but there was no response from the outside.

"Do you have your phone with you, Mike?" Christine asked. "We really need to call for help."

"Sorry, I left mine with my laptop at the party," said Mike. "Or else I would have called earlier."

"And Lee said there will be no need for us to have phones while we party so she took all of ours," said Daniel.

"I guess Lee was in on this surprise and took our phones away," I said. "Really clever of her."

"Well, this is bad," said Mike. "It feels like there is no one out there."

"The way I see it, they're keeping us in here longer to make us feel more scared."

"They are doing a pretty good job if you ask me," said Christine.

"Well, we have been screaming our lungs out even on the road and now that we are wherever we are, they still don't want to let us out," said Mike.

"This is why I'm telling you, it's best to eat the cake because this might be our last day on earth," said Daniel.

"Well, people love the fact that they might be dying today," I said as I looked at Daniel.

"I'm just hungry."

I smiled. "I know."

"Now what are we going to do?" Zoey asked as she looked at me. "It's starting to get hot in here. We might just run out of air if they keep us in here any longer."

"We wait. Even if we might just end up losing enough oxygen."

"How are you so calm? What if these people really kidnapped us or something?" Christine asked.

"If they did, they would have immediately gotten us out of the truck by now."

"Well, I'm still not counting on it," said Zoey. "I just want to get out of here."

"We will soon," I said as I stared at the ceiling of the container wondering what was going on out there.

"Should we sing our way out of here like they do in the movies?" Daniel suggested.