Chapter 38: A Movie Disaster

So it turns out we’re watching a Korean movie after all. That meant some of us had to get our eyes ready for subtitles. As tiring and straining as it may seem, we were pretty much expecting this. Except Christine, of course.

“I think I need to water my eyes every time we’re watching movies with subtitles,” she said as she rummaged through the picnic basket next to her looking for a water bottle.

“But don’t use too much of it, okay?” Seungri who sat in front of her, pointed out.

“She’s just joking,” I said to Seungri. “Usually she waters her eyes after the movie is done.”

“Easy for you to say,” said Christine as she shot a look at me. “Your eyes don’t hurt like mine.”

"FYI, all our eyes hurt when we look at the screen for too long,” said Daniel, who sat to my left. He already had a bag of crackers open, eating them one by one, as the movie hasn’t started yet.

“Whatever,” Christine took out a plastic water bottle and also a chocolate bar filled with nuts and raisins. Zoey and I told her to pass us some as well.

“This is really nice,” said Zoey who was on her knees behind me, opening her chocolate bar. “I can’t remember the last time we ever came to the park just for a movie.”

“It’s been a while,” said Daniel, chewing on a cracker. “Ever since we became famous we never had time to go out for such outings.”

“Even just going out for a movie at a cinema, that’s if you weren’t invited or anything,” said Christine.

“This is why I’m going to enjoy this moment,” said Zoey, “even if we’ve to watch a movie with subtitles.”

“Keep on saying that and Christine might leave to join some other group for the movie,” I said as I chuckled.

“As tempting as that sounds, I don’t want to attract so much attention,” said Christine as she settled next to Seungri.

“And if she does, people will know The Toxins are in the building,” said Seungri.

“Let’s not forget you and Daesung will also be discovered,” I pointed out.

“Well, let’s hope that this location the guards picked out will be enough for no one to notice us,” said Zoey as she looked around.

Even when we weren’t so close to the screen, we were settled under a tree to the east side and there weren’t many people. Most of them settled in the middle to have a clear view of the screen. And the fact that the place was partially dark at the moment except for the flood lights positioned strategically around the park area, no one has noticed us yet. Besides, when the lights go off when the movie starts, we'll completely be in the dark, hence a perfect cover away from prying eyes. And if anything goes wrong, the guards who are close by will have everything covered.

“I think we’re fine here,” I said, as I started to look around, “that’s if Daesung and Mike get here quickly. They will be the ones attracting unwanted attention.”

“I know, we don't need more popcorn though,” said Daniel as he also looked around.

“I don’t know why they left,” said Christine. She had just finished her chocolate bar and put the wrapper away in a plastic bag where we would be throwing our trash in. “The popcorn in here seems more than enough for all of us.”

“You know how Zoey is,” said Seungri. “She just needed the sour creamed popcorn.”

Christine, Daniel and I laughed. Seungri sounded as if he’s known Zoey forever. I heard Zoey mutter something out of frustration and Seungri couldn’t help but turn to look at her with a crooked smile on his face.