Chapter 39: Held Down

“Do you think she’s going to be okay?” Collins asked. You could tell by the sound of his voice that he is worried.

“It’s just a sprain that will heal in a day or two,” said the handsome, male Korean doctor who wore a causal blue golf shirt with white chinos and matching white canvas. Anyone who would see him now wouldn’t think twice that he is a medical doctor. “If she doesn’t strain herself too much, she’ll be fine.”

“That’s good news,” said Collins feeling relieved as he turned to look at Christine who sat on the couch, with a foot on a foot supporter in front of her. She looked at him with a stoic look on her face. “Luckily, it’s nothing serious.”

“I told you I’m fine,” said Christine. Collins gave her a look that told her to be quiet. Christine read it and quickly looked up at the ceiling like she hadn’t said anything.

“I can recommend a good painkiller to ease off the pain,” said the doctor. “She’ll be fine. I’ll be taking my leave now, that’s if everyone else is okay.”

“Thank you, doctor,” said Lee as she stood up from the other couch she had been sitting on. “The other Toxins are fine. If you ask me, most of them are as tough as nails.”

“Are we really?” Daniel who knelt on the floor in front of me, silently asked.

I looked down at him and I found him staring back at me. Honestly, I have no idea.

“Then I’ll be taking my leave,” said the doctor, displaying a friendly smile.

“I’ll escort you out,” Lee offered. I clearly noticed her blush in front of him.

“Thanks. Christine,” he said as he turned towards her, “I suggest you don’t strain yourself for today to see how you’ll be tomorrow. So if you’ve any dance practice today, I suggest you wait it out.”

“That won’t be hard to do,” she said. “Thank you, very much, doctor.”

Before the doctor and Lee could turn around to leave the lounge, Daniel and I quickly left our spot at the entrance of the lounge and silently ran down the hall, and entered one of the rooms with the door slightly open to peak in the hall. Mike and Zoey who hid on the other side pretended as if they were approaching the elevator, looking occupied with phones in their hands.

Lee and the doctor soon appeared in the hall, heading for the elevator and bypassing Zoey and Mike who said goodbye as Lee and the doctor entered the elevator. As soon as the doors closed, Daniel and I quietly ran out of the room, while Mike and Zoey also made their way back to the lounge.

As soon as the four of us approached the entrance, there stood Collins. His sudden appearance scared us that we yelled.

“What is your problem?” he asked with his arms folded.

“Nothing,” Zoey quickly answered.

“Whatever. I know you guys have been hiding here the whole time.”

“We didn’t want to interrupt the doctor while he was at work,” I said.

“Well, as you can see, Christine is fine.”

“You aren’t mad at us for last night, are you?” Zoey asked as she played around with her fingers.

Collins sighed. “When I first saw the news, I’ll admit, I thought all of you had something to do with the crowd chasing you.”

“Really?” Mike also folded his arms as he looked at Collins, not looking happy with that statement.

“You’re always known for causing trouble, so don’t blame me.”