Chapter 47: Christine's Date

Sam’s P.O.V:

Going to the dumpling store was a complete waste of time. Christine wasn’t there. This sent Lee into a frenzy as she complained that she first had to worry about Zoey and now Christine. It’s strange how Christine left without telling us where she was going. Maybe she saw something and decided to leave, thinking she would be back soon. If she had gone back to the shop we were at first, she would’ve called to ask us where we were. So far, all our phones have been silent. Just like Lee, I couldn’t help but worry.

Now comes the hard part. Deciding whether Christine might have gone missing and we go look for her; or she’s probably somewhere, and we don’t have to worry.

“Well, if she did go somewhere, she would answer our calls,” said Daniel. “We can’t tell whether she’s safe or not.”

“When I see her, she’s also getting an earful,” said Lee, who, just like before, looked like an angry aunt.

“Perhaps we should try calling her again,” Jungkook suggested.

“Let me try,” I said. I pulled my phone out and quickly called her.

“Let’s hope she picks up,” said Mino.

“I know,” said Zoey, who had her arms folded. “We were supposed to be out here having fun, and she walks out on us like that.”

“Well, you also did the same an hour ago, didn’t you?” Mike asked.

“Your point, Mike?” Zoey asked, trying her best not to lose her temper.

Mike zipped his mouth shut with an invisible zip, and that almost sent Zoey fuming. But she bit her lower lip, stopping herself from saying anything rash. Everyone knew what Mike was going to say, and it’s a good thing he didn’t bother himself by saying it out loud.

As usual, Christine didn’t pick up my call, and I made sure to let everyone know. They all groaned in frustration. This was really weighing us down. Before I could say anything, my phone beeped. I have a message from Christine. I didn’t say anything as I opened it.

“There’s nothing to worry about,” I said as I blacked out the screen of the phone. “Christine just texted me to say she’s fine.”

“Thank goodness,” said Lee, looking relieved. “That’s all I needed to know. Where is she?”

“She went searching for more dumplings near some restaurants,” I answered. “She got a little distracted, and that’s why she didn’t pick up the phone.”

“Well, she should’ve said that before leaving,” said Jimin. “We would’ve gone dumpling hunting with her.”

“Yeah, I wish I had joined her,” said Daniel, looking crestfallen. “We would’ve eaten different kinds of dumplings.”

“I’m sure she’ll save some for you when she gets back,” I said. “So, should we continue shopping or do we do more looking around?”

“We can do a little of both,” said Zoey. “Once Christine is done, we can meet at the store and head back.”

Everyone else agreed, and we made our way back onto the street using a different route. I hope we don’t find ourselves where Christine is. She texted me, saying that she was having a dinner date with Jinwoo. If the others, especially the other Toxins, find out, they will want to go there and see how it’s going. She needed privacy, so this is the least I could do to keep them off her back.

Luckily enough, we found ourselves on the artistic side of Hongdae. We found colorful graffiti on the walls and some street performances, like singing and dancing. This will keep us distracted. I hope.