ʚ Epilogue ɞ

✧ Chapter 74 ✧
[ ʚ Epilogue ɞ ]
▹⋇⋆**❀ ❀** ⋆⋇◃

My mind was stuffed to the brim with drums, chords and lyrics. Even as I continued trying to concentrate on my task, Ouma's music just kept playing in the background. I didn't know where he had scampered off to, but I just hoped he'd get back soon to shut it off.

This new case for my uncle, was puzzling.. and speaking of him, he was an elderly man in his fifties by now, slow but sharp tongued and careful as always.

I was the head of the agency, which was slightly stressful at first. But after a few years of getting the hang of detective work once more.. I was finally comfortable with who I was.

"Saihara-channnnn!"

I could hear his voice despite the music playing from the giant speakers over at his desk. I turned in my seat just in time to see Ouma running up to me, carrying a large, white box with a blue ribbon tied around it. His face was flushed with excitement; despite being weighed down by the extra burden.

Ouma and I shared a study room, the two sides were parted by a neatly drawn line on the floor. While my desk was messy with notes, diagrams and files, his was neat and tidy, assortment of 'weapons' labeled clearly and put away in boxes.

With a hand, I slipped the headphones off my ears to let it rest around my neck. "Hey Ouma.." I didn't even have time to greet him properly before he leaned down to kiss my cheek; handing the wrapped box to me.

"Merry Christmas!" he cheered and I rolled my eyes, but quickly glanced at the calendar in our room.

"It's not even Christmas. You're five months early."

"That's the thing." he gave me a knowing smile, hands behind his back, "I'm five months early and now I don't have to give you a present anymore."

"You're so immature." I chided, "This better not be another one of your rainbow glitter pranks. If it is, I won't be cooking for you again."

"But Saihara-chan makes great bentos." he pouted, but there was a smug smile on his face, "If people wanted slightly burned chicken, that is." I couldn't help but smile a little at that. He always finished whatever food I prepared for him, despite all the complains he had about it.

Ever since we moved out of my childhood home and into this small house, he had been going on and on about how his organisation needed him. I, loaded down with all my work, let him be. But he did remind me of his presence by blasting loud music and leaving drawings all over the house.

"Just open it already!" he hit my head, making me wince slightly. Rubbing the spot where he had hit, I did as I was told, pulling the satin blue ribbon away to reveal.. another box, but slightly smaller than the first.

I looked at him without saying anything. Apparently, he had told me he had been perfecting the 'I-understand-Saihara-chan-without-talking' skill. So, I waited for him to read my expression.

"It's a box in a box." he grinned as though he were telling me the most funniest joke, "Okay, now open the next one!" he was bouncing on his feet, his grin wide as I sighed and obediently did as he said.

This time, it was yet another box, but had a small note tied around it with a thin brown string. I barely had time to read what it said before Kokichi giggled.

"I should be kneeling down for this but you're sitting on a chair," he cleared his throat as he reached into the box. Wait- what? Carefully, he flicked the box open, "Anyway! My darling Saihara-chan. The love and light of my life, blah blah blah.." he smiled widely before looking gentler, holding out a ring, "Would you marry me?"