The Reason That

✧ Chapter 14 ✧
[ The Reason That ]
✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

Shuichi rubbed his eyes, looking at the book in front of him. Thanks to the medication that was left for him in his bedroom and the twenty hours of sleep he had, he felt alive again.

But of course, he had nightmares. Vivid, horrifying nightmares which he couldn't wake from. Strangely, it all seemed to take place in a hospital, even though he has never been inside one before.

He glanced at the empty desks of Kaito, Keebo and Miu. And of course, a vase of flowers the late Miss Chisa. He wasn't present when Monokuma announced her death, but the other students told him what had happened.

Thank goodness he hadn't seen her corpse... even though he was the Ultimate Detective, he was always queasy whenever it came to corpses or death. Strange, but he wanted to learn more from his senior, Kiyoko Kirigiri.

Rumour has it that she had met more dead people than people who were alive. And she had even tasted the saliva from a corpse just to solve a case.

A little disgusting for his taste. (Oh- a pun- *my sister smacks my head as she's editing this-*)

"Sorry I'm late!" a voice called as Kokichi dashed into the classroom, where their English teacher was about to begin the class.

Everyone didn't acknowledge him, all except Rantaro and Gonta of course. The other students still held a grudge against Ouma. However, Shuichi knew that Monokuma had set this all up. The bear had phrased the whole death of Miss Chisa differently to pin the blame on Ouma.

He just twisted the words around and made everyone think it was the purple haired boy's fault.

Shuichi wasn't going to take sides, especially now that everyone detested Kokichi.

The shorter boy sat in his usual seat beside him, however, to his surprise, Kokichi started to flip through a couple of files and use a red marker to underline words. What in the world was he doing?

Honestly, he was secretly hoping for Kokichi to notice him. To ask him questions and annoy him as per usual, but he seemed focused on the papers instead.

"Shit-." he heard Kokichi swear when a piece of paper dropped to the floor, right by Shuichi's foot.

The blue haired boy sighed and bent down to pick it up-

Kaito.

"Saihara-chan," Kokichi whispered to him in a serious tone, "Give it back."

Shuichi tore his eyes away from the paper and stared at the other boy, finally focusing on him closely.

To his surprise.. Kokichi had a plaster on his forehead and a bruise on his cheek. His eyes looked dark and deprived of sleep.

All at once, Shuichi leaned forward, thankful that they were at the back of the class so their teacher wouldn't notice them. "Kokichi.. what the hell happened to you?!"

"It's fine," the other boy smiled, his smile not matching the tone of his voice, "Now give it back, I'm working."

Something was definitely wrong with him. And Shuichi wasn't going to back down from that feeble lie. "Why do you have a picture of Kaito in here? What the hell are you doing with all these?"

Kokichi looked at him, and for a moment, Shuichi could see a flicker of doubt in his purple hued eyes.

The two boys stared at each other, Kokichi just looking at him as if he could read his mind. Finally, the other boy sighed, tearing his eyes away from Shuichi's.