The Tears, In the End

✧ Chapter 24 ✧
[ The Tears, In the End ]
✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

Kaede and Shuichi looked at each other, their eyes glued to the mysterious metal box. It was a simple case, with a black handle on the top and a thumbprint scanner in the middle of it. With threatening black words scribbled across it in permanent marker.

"Is.. Is that Keebo's?" Kaede stammered, her hand slowly drifting down to rest against her side. "Why would he keep such a thing? It looks like a bomb or something even worse."

"We shouldn't really touch it," Shuichi looked at the pieces of scrap metal, strewn all over the place, "After all, the words clearly states that we shouldn't mess around with it."

"But still," Kaede looked curious, "Maybe it'll help us find out about Hope's Peak and the Hospital." she suggested. Shuichi stubbornly shook his head, reaching for the box and picking it up. It was surprisingly heavy, which made Shuichi nearly drop it from the unexpected weight.

"I'm seriously thinking it could be a bomb," Kaede frowned, noticing Shuichi's struggle, "Please Shuichi, it could be dangerous!"

"Which is why we shouldn't touch it in the first place." he countered, "Come on Kaede, let's just continue cleaning the place and get it over with." he put the box on the table with a loud thud. "Ah- if it was a bomb.." Kaede flinched when it landed, "You need to be more careful!"

Shuichi chuckled slightly, looking around the room for a while longer. Papers everywhere.. a whole collection of Panta bottles lining the side of the wall. It was obviously Ouma's doing.

"Hey Shuichi," Kaede suddenly spoke up. He looked at her, surprised to see the girl pointing at a computer. It seemed to have been used recently, since it was on sleep mode, not shut down.

Shuichi walked over to the girl, who was holding a feather duster with one hand and peering at the light blue text on the screen.

Keebo: -We might've found evidence about some project they're working on, here at the Hospital. [ Last sent: One hour ago ]

Shuichi looked at Kaede, who was staring right at the screen as if she couldn't look away. "Keebo?" she muttered, "How is that possible-?"

"Is there a way to talk to him?" Shuichi interrupted , taking hold of the mouse beside the computer and looking around for some clue. "If he's sending messages, there could be a way for us to send one back to him."

"Well? What are you waiting for?" Kaede looked relieved, "Maybe try sending one to him now.."

Shuichi nodded, noticing a small Keebo sprite at the bottom of the screen, sleeping soundly. He ignored it and quickly typed out a message for the Ultimate Robotics Scientist to receive.

Kokichi: Keebo? How are you texting us? This is Shuichi and Kaede, please tell us what's going on.

"Do you realise-?" Shuichi pointed to the name as Kaede placed a finger to her chin, "That means Ouma must've known about this, right?"

The blue haired boy nodded, waiting for Keebo to reply. Unfortunately, the Keebo sprite just continued to sleep. That must mean something.

"Maybe he's offline. That's why he isn't replying. Let's look around and see what else is there to help us crack this mystery." Kaede suggested.

Shuichi sighed, wanting to keep his eyes on the screen a while longer. "Alright. But Kaede," he frowned at her, unsure why he felt uneasy. The blonde girl turned to look at him, curious as to why he called her, "What's wrong?"