And While They Lie in Bed

✧ Chapter 11 ✧
[ And While They Lie in Bed ]
✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

A week passed.

With one week without Keebo or Miu, the entire class was quiet.

After all, Miu was the one who could entertain people with her weird jokes, and Keebo could easily whip out robots like it was nobody's business. They were the life of the class, along with Kaito..

Kokichi lazily looked at his math textbook, not bothering to complete any of the sums. How could he? After seeing his best and closest friend get dragged away like a rag doll, how could he get a good night's rest?

Was this what Shuichi felt when Kaito was dragged away from him? That feeling of emptiness and longing.

Kokichi loved Keebo as a friend, not that he wanted to admit it. But even the closest friendships were also something the government were strict with..

He leaned back in his chair, running his hand through his messy hair. Man, he was bored out of his mind, and worst of all, he had no idea how to cheer Saihara up. The poor guy looked shell shocked.

In fact, he seemed to be thinner and had bags under his eyes. Kokichi knew Saihara had reduced from his usual three meals to just one per day. If this kept going on, that stupid sushi would waste away to skin and bones. Jeez.

Kokichi stared out at the window. Maybe he should just try talking to Saihara, or maybe try the pity tactic. God, he hated the pity tactic, but he had no choice.. things were getting out of hand, after all.

The bell rang, signalling the end of the lesson. Kokichi reached down and picked up his backpack, grabbing the items on his desk and shoving them into the bag. He hated being organised.. since it was too serious for his taste.

"Alright class," he heard his music teacher say, "Just review the questions again and tomorrow, we can have a little pop quiz."

Great. Another thing for Kokichi to worry about. But oh well, he always did his best for his tests and always scored As without meaning to. He looked at Shuichi, who was still sleeping.

Kokichi sighed, standing up and leaning over the sleeping boy. "Saihara." he called, tapping the boy's head.

The other boy didn't reply, his eyes still closed and his skin looking a little too pale. Kokichi frowned, hesitating before resting the back of his hand against Shuichi's forehead.

Did he have a fever?! He was too pale, and looked a little malnourished. "Oh come on, Saihara-chan... wake up!" Kokichi exclaimed, a little too loudly.

"What is wrong, Ouma-san?" Gonta spoke up when he heard Kokichi's exclaimation, "Gonta can help you if you want!"

"Ouma, what's wrong?" Kaede asked worriedly, walking over to the two.

"Shuichi's not waking up." Kokichi gestured to the unconscious boy, who wasn't moving despite the commotion around him.

"Gokuhara. You should carry him to the medical room," Ryoma spoke up in his serious voice, his arms folded, "And make it fast. Saihara looks dehydrated and very sick."

"Oh yes, Hoshi-san!" Gonta nodded, looking happy to help, "Anything to help Gonta's classmates."

Before anyone could protest, Gonta scooped Shuichi up as easily as carrying a tray of food and marched off to the medical office. "Please excuse Gonta, Gonta has a sick Saihara in his arms!" they heard him tell the other bewildered students.

"Ouma, you better follow him, and bring Saihara's belongings." Rantaro started to say but Kokichi was already making his way to the door, his arms loaded with Shuichi's things.