Into the Hands of the Doctor

✧ Chapter 8 ✧
[ Into the Hands of the Doctor ]
✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

Dressed in a simple large pink shirt, with a white bandanna around his neck and blue shorts, Shuichi couldn't help but stare at the purple haired boy.

"S-Sorry, Ouma, he was asking too many questions and I didn't know how to answer!" Keebo whispered as the shorter male gestured for the two to enter the room.

Shuichi flinched when Keebo set him on a bed. "Ah- sorry if I.." the blue haired boy apologised quickly, trying not to get so much rainwater on Keebo's bed.

"It's not-." Keebo started to say when Kokichi interrupted the two. "So Saihara, where are your thanks?"

"Ex..cuse me?" Shuichi frowned, confused. "Oh.. thank you Tetsuya.. Ouma."

Keebo looked like he wanted to correct him, but decided to drop it the moment the white haired boy saw Kokichi's expression. Why were the both of them acting so shifty?

"Eh, anyway," Kokichi pointed to Shuichi's leg, "You fell didn't you? At least, that's what Keeboy told me." he twirled a strand of his hair around his finger.

"So, with the power of Keeboy and queen cow poop.. uh.. I mean, Miu Iruma. I present, mini-bandaids!" Kokichi dropped his hand from his hair and instead, held up what seemed to be a couple of bandages.

At least they looked normal enough..

"Ah- Kokichi.. those are just the prototypes.. you can't touch them!" Keebo protested meekly, trying to grab them from the shorter male's outstretched hand.

"Awww please? You said that I could try them out.." Kokichi swing his arm away, and gave Keebo a pleading look. Shuichi wondered how could the blue eyed boy stand Ouma at all.

"That was before you wasted the one good batch by sticking the band-aids all over a dog."

"But it was injured! I had to help it.!" Kokichi pouted. "Pleaseee? Just let me try them on Saihara!"

If this were an anime, Kokichi would probably have those sparkly anime eyes as he practically begged Keebo for the band-aids.

Keebo sighed, "Fine.. but if he starts turning blue, don't blame me."

"Wh-What?" Shuichi held his hands up, "What did he mean by blue? Ouma, don't you dare-!" he exclaimed when the purple haired boy swiftly stuck a plaster to his leg.

✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

He woke up, surprised to see that everything seemed to be.. as per normal. He looked at the white ceiling, a few streams of light from the window illuminating the room.

Shuichi sat up, holding his head and feeling that his hat was gone.

"Where-?"

"Don't panic, Saihara-chan."

Shuichi flinched, knowing the one person who only ever called him that. "Your hat's right here."

He frowned at the purple haired boy and took the hat from his outstretched hand. He put it on, despite not brushing his messy hair.

Kokichi was perched on a white chair, wearing the usual brown school uniform. And of course, mismatched pink and purple socks with his brown shoes. Was this a fashion trend? Because Shuichi was sure only Ouma ever did that.

"You look ugly without your hat, Saihara-chan." Kokichi grinned. Shuichi glared at him, touching the brim of his cap. "But of course, that was a lie. Because, you know, I'm a liar."

"Anyway," he got off the chair before Shuichi had time to process what he said, "Our first class starts at ten, so you better hurry and change or else you won't get breakfast."

Oh..

Shuichi placed a hand over his stomach, feeling how much weight he had loss. He didn't feel like eating at all, since.. the feeling of eating alone was just torture to him. Kaito usually hung out with him during lunch after all.

So, ever since then, the only times Shuichi ate was when he sneaked out of class in between classes to grab food.

His friends kept telling him to move on from Kaito's memory. But there was no way that was going to happen. Somewhere. Somehow. Kaito was alive, but unable to return due to.. whatever reasons..

He had to keep believing that Kaito was alive. It was the only thing keeping him going.

"I don't want to eat, Ouma." Shuichi mumbled to the purple haired boy, who dropped his smile.

"Seriously? Again?" he sighed, looking bored, "But why-?"

"Because I still need time to get over Kaito not being here, alright? This won't take days, or weeks, or even months. It'll take years because I miss my best friend! He is my best friend and I'm never going to forget him."

"And unless he returns, I'm not going to eat. I'm not going to have fun."

Kokichi bent his head, the front of his hair hanging low over his eyes. For a moment, Shuichi wondered if he had shocked Ouma..

"You're a terrible friend then." he said instead, his eyes still hidden by the shadows. "To think that Kaito thinks of you as a friend!" he looked up, and Shuichi was surprised to see that there were tears in Kokichi's eyes.

"How could you do that to him?" the purple haired boy demanded, "Do you really think that's what Kaito wants? He wouldn't want to see you starve or not have fun! How could you do that?!" He burst into tears.

Shuichi was dumbfounded. No one has ever made Kokichi cry before, not even when the teachers scolded him or even Maki. What in the world-?!

"Kokichi.. I'm sorry I didn't think of it-." he started to apologise when the crying stopped as quickly as it started.

"'Kay," he heard Kokichi say, "I feel much better now."

Wait.. what?!

"Were.. were you just lying!?" Shuichi felt hurt as he stared at Kokichi. "Sure I was," he smirked, "I never cry for anyone, remember?"

Shuichi scowled, immediately swinging his legs off the bed and pulling on his shoes. Of course he was lying. Kokichi never gave anyone his pity after all. And Shuichi was a fool to believe him.

"But I never said what I was lying about, Saihara-chan."

Kokichi's words made him pause. He didn't look away from the door which was a few feet away from him.

"It's true that Kaito would probably care if you treated yourself like this, Saihara."

"He'd be disappointed in you and if I were you, I'd start trying to move on. You'll see him again soon, can't you feel it?"

Shuichi clenched his fists and opened the door, slamming it behind him and stomping off to his room. However, Kokichi's words kept repeating in his mind.

Is this what Kaito wants?
For Shuichi to be upset over him?
If so..

What could he do? Kaito was alive. Somewhere in the hospital..

The only way to get to him again..

The only way to get to the hospital..

Shuichi turned, looking at back the closed door of Kokichi and Keebo's room.

The only way to get to Kaito, and also get his revenge on Kokichi for disrupting the plan..

Was it... to finally fall in love..?

♥ End of Chapter Eight ♥