Would Be Enough

✧ Chapter 48 ✧
[ Would Be Enough ]
♥*♡∞:。.。  。.。:∞♡*♥
[ Shuichi's PoV ]

"Hajime Hinata." Izuru regraded the brown haired teenager with head tilted to the side, Asia looking at a mere subject in an experiment. "I was wondering when you'd finally show up. It seems by threatening one of the little members of your group might draw you out."

Hajime closed his eyes for a moment before quickly opening them, his usual jade-green irises now glowing with red light. "Leave her alone, Kamukura." he said to the man in a low voice. The commanding tone was enough to make me slightly afraid of him.

Without hesitating, Izuru dropped Maki to the ground, and I moved towards her to help. However, I was stopped by everyone's eyes on me. "This is the Mastermind?" I heard Hajime ask in a skeptical tone.

"Were you expecting someone like me?" Izuru registered the look of confusion. He spoke in a tone as if both Hajime and him were merely friends, "Disappointing. It's just typical of you to assume such a thing."

"For the last time," Hajime glared at the taller man, "Just because Saihara was the one who programmed you based on my personalities and attributes, it doesn't mean we're the same."

Maki slowly edged closer to me, still gripping her bleeding shoulder as the two adults bickered. It didn't seem to be any different than how siblings fight. "Maki.." I held my hand up to the girl, who still trembling slightly, "Are you alright? Where does it hurt-?"

"Save the questions," she replied almost immediately, despite the blood seeping past her fingers. "I'll be fine.. we have to go before Kamukura takes notice." she got to her feet rather shakily as I gripped the assassin's arm, supporting her.

We walked down the stairs as quietly as we could, but as soon as the sounds of fighting had faded away, I decided to ask a question I still didn't quite believe. "Maki.. am I really the.. Mastermind?"

She stayed silent for a moment, turning her gaze to the concrete ground instead.

"Based on what I've heard, and what the other Remnants say, the possibility is high," she replied after a tense minute. "You just don't remember because you did this to yourself. You erased your own memories. It's just a matter if you want to-." There was a loud shout which sounded like Izuru's.

Maki's eyes became serious, suddenly grabbing my wrist with her cold hand and pulling me along. Above us, I could hear the sounds of Hajime and Izuru fighting getting closer.

"H-Have you.. heard what happened to Kokichi?" I asked after nearly ten minutes of running. I realised that the alarms seemed to have stopped sounding. But there was still the ghost of the ringing in my ears.

Maki's eyes focused ahead, our footsteps quiet in the darkness. "I heard what happened to him." she replied, "I still dislike that goblin.. but if you like him.."

Like? I don't like Ouma. I loved him. I felt my heart skip another beat, simply hearing his name in my mind helped me to focus. What would he say if he saw me now? What would he do if he found out I was the person who was supposed to be killed all along?

He hated the Mastermind. So did he hate me? Maybe. But whatever it was, I knew he was okay.

"Just a few more floors," Maki muttered as we passed by more doctors and nurses, who seemed too focused on their work to bother with us, "After we get to the ground floor, Togami will be waiting for you."

"Togami? As in, Byakuya Togami? I thought he never participated in this sort of thing?" I questioned as Maki rolled her eyes. She didn't seem to have the energy to argue with me anymore.