But No Amount of Medicine

✧ Chapter 47 ✧
[ But No Amount of Medicine ]
♥*♡∞:。.。  。.。:∞♡*♥
[ Shuichi's PoV ]

"How did he escape the trap that Monokuma-." I started to say when Maki bent down and pulled the knife from Amami's body. Blood dripped from the knife as I refused to take my eyes away from its slightly hypnotising cycle. How could she have killed him so easily.? With no regret or hesitation? But.. that was her talent after all.

"Rantaro was Monokuma's number one traitor, after all." she regarded the green haired male's lifeless body, "I'm guessing Monokuma planned it all along. So Amami would have a clean getaway." She sheathed her knife and looked over at me. I didn't know what expression I was making, but I could tell she knew I was trying not to tear up. He was my friend.

"Are you alright?" she asked with surprising gentleness. The side of her face had a streak of blood across it, presumably having wiped her face with her bloodied hand.

"Y-Yeah." I muttered. Rantaro was my friend. Our classmate. How did it become like this? "Let's just go before anything else happens." The continuous alarms rang in my ears even as Maki swept her hair away from her face. "I suppose we should leave the body here." she suggested as I nodded hesitantly.

"Where.." I cleared my throat to stop my voice from shaking, "Where are we going?" I asked as we gradually started to make our way down the stairs once more, "Do you have a plan?"

"The leaders do," Maki replied without hesitation, running her hand down the railing, "One of them is trying to distract Izuru Kamukura as we speak."

"The Mastermind himself?" I asked, raising an eyebrow, "That sounds like suicide."

"..." Maki glanced at me, "You don't seem to know the full story yet, do you?" she questioned. Her expression was difficult to read in the dim blue lights.

"Full story?" I repeated as she turned away. Together, we descended down, passing Level 14. Above us, I could hear people's loud footsteps following behind and shouting. I had a sudden flash of déjà vu, as if I had somehow experienced this before.

My nightmares.

I remember now. I had a vivid nightmare of running down a set of stairs and falling down, pushed by a figure with magenta eyes. My hand outstretched as the magenta eyes regarded me with no remorse. But lately.. instead of the figure being someone I couldn't recognise..

The person pushing me down the stairs looked just like Ouma.

The familiar stance and build, his signature smug smile as he let me fall without worry in his eyes.

Each nightmare seemed to reflect my life..

However, there was that one nightmare I had where I was trapped in that strange white room with my bleeding nose. But thankfully, I haven't experienced that hellish dream in real life. I didn't want to.

"Whatever you do, Shuichi," Maki stopped me with her left arm against my chest. My hands were still shaking from my fall, but surprisingly, I didnt seem to have injured myself very badly. Save for the multiple cuts and bruises forming on my knees and legs.

Maki and I stood at the door of the staircase, the humid air making it hard to breathe, "Just listen to my instructions. If I tell you to run, you run." she turned, her eyes bore into mine with deadly seriousness. I nodded obediently, not wanting to disobey her.

"The leaders told me to make sure you're safe," she held out her knife, staring at her own grim expression on the smooth reflective surface, "You've never met them before, but it seems like they want to speak to you."