CHAPTER TEN

AMELIA HENDERSON WOKE up the next day with a slight headache. She sat there trying to remember what happened last night. Then it all came back to her. Billy had saved her from Tommy and Steve and Nancy broke up. She sighed getting out of her bed and getting ready for the day.

"Dustin Hurry!! Were gonna be late for school!!"

"Coming!!"

She sighed waiting in her car for her little brother. Youd think shed be jumping for joy over the fact that her crush and his girlfriend were over. But she couldn't stop thinking about how hurt Steve was and Nancy was so drunk last night that she probably doesn't even remember it. She just felt bad. She loved them both and wanted them to be happy but if Nancy doesn't love Steve and isn't happy with him, then they both need to move on.

Her thoughts were interrupted by her front door slamming shut. She looked up to see her brother walking towards there car and getting in the front seat. She started the car and pulled out of the their driveway, making small talk with her little brother.

"So how was trick or treating?" She asked him glancing at his glum face. "Yeah it was good I guess, I'm just worried about Will. He had another episode last night."

"He what?!?!" The girl questioned. "What was it about?!" She asked lowering her voice a bit.

"We dont know he wouldn't tell us," Dustin replied. They pulled up at the middle school as Dustin unbuckled his seat belt. She stopped the car. She put her hand on his arm looking over at him.

"You would tell me if something happened, right Dustin?" He looked in her eyes showing guilt but quickly changing it to neutral.

"Of course I would, now i gotta go, the guys are waiting on me." He said pulling her into a hug. She hugged back and smiled. "Ok get outta here," she replied sarcastically.

He closed the car door and waved at her. She waved back and drove away. She couldnt help but think that Dustin was hiding something from her.

♡♡♡♡♡

As Amelia walked into Hawkins high she quickly looked around for her best friend Nancy. While walking down the hallway she somehow managed to bump into Steve. She went to fall over but her caught her and pulled her up.

"Oh sorry Lia wasnt really looking were I was going" he said. She wasnt going to lie. Steve looked awful. His hair was more shaggy than usual and even though he was wearing sunglasses, she could she the bags under his eyes.

She gave him a reassuring look. "Its fine," she replied. She started to walk down the hallway but Steve grabbed her arm immediately stopping her.

"Hey wait up, I was wondering if you wanted to watch my basketball practise, its starts in about 5 minutes," he said to the girl.

She didnt know what to do. She had to find Nancy but at the same time, Steve was her best friend and she couldn't leave him after what happened last night. She sighed before nodding.

♡♡♡♡♡

Amelia sat at the bleachers watching Steve's basketball practise. She honestly had no interest in the sport but wanted to be there for Steve. She watched as Billy pushed up against Steve mentioning something Amelia couldnt make out watching as Billy pushed Steve over and grabbed the ball from him before shooting it into the net, causing her to scoff.

Billy was always rough at sports and was clearly trying to get into Steve's head. He turned to Amelia and winked at her before flexing his guns at her. She rolled her eyes as Billy walked over to Steve.

"Looks like your girlfriend went for me Harrington, now you've lost two in the last twelve hours. Congrats." Billy said to Steve mockingly, patting Steve's back. The look and Steve's faces showed it all.

He was pissed.

Before Steve could say anything about Billy's comments Nancy walked in and beckoned him over. He saw her and sighed, slowly walking over to her. They both walked outside before the basketball game continued.

The 'couple' stood outside, Steve crossing his arms as he tried regaining his breath. "What're you doing here?"

Nancy scoffed. "What do you think? Where were you this morning? I missed first period."

"Figured Jonathan would take you," Steve answered in the most monotoned voice Nancy had ever heard him speak.

She frowned, her eyebrows furrowing as she looked at him. "What are you talking about?

"Jesus, you really can't handle your alcohol," he mumbled, turning away from her. "Uh, you remember going to Tina's party last night, right?"

"...Yes."

"And then what?"

'I remember... dancing and spilling some punch, you got mad at me cause I was drunk and then you took me home," Nancy explained in confusion.

Steve scoffed lightly, shaking his head. "No see that's where your memory gets a little fuzzy. That was your other boyfriend... that was Jonathan. I took Amelia home, Jonathan took you home."

Nancy paused. "I don't understand."

"It's pretty simple Nancy," Steve started, growing more annoyed as the conversation went on. "You were just telling it like it is."

"What?"

"Well, apparently, uh... we killed Barb and I don't care, 'cause I'm bullshit. And... our whole— our whole relationship is bullshit because I'm just avoiding my feelings for Amelia— and pretty much everything is just bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Oh yeah also... you don't love me."

"I was drunk Steve! I don't remember any of that," Nancy defended, shrugging her shoulders slightly.

Steve shook his head at her. "So that makes everything you said... It's what? Just bullshit too?!"

"Yes!"

"What's the point Nancy we both know it's true," Steve started, causing Nancy to look at him in utter confusion. "You don't love me, we have never loved each other and this whole relationship... it is bullshit."

Nancy paused. "Oh Really? Well... you're the one that has feelings for Amelia!"

"And you're the one that has feelings for Jonathan!" He defended, causing Nancy's eyes to widen. "Who were we kidding, Nance? It was just a matter of time and I don't even know why you stayed with me if I'm just so in love with Amelia like you said."

"Because—" she stopped herself, taking a breath before shaking her head. "I didn't... I didn't want things to change, okay? I— I did have... feelings for Jonathan and I didn't want to admit it!"

Steve almost laughed in anger. "Well aren't we just the happiest couple!"

The door then banged open and Steve's teammate came running out. "Harrington! Dude, we need you, man. That douchebag's killing us. Let's go!"

"Alright!"

Nancy looked up at Steve, not knowing what to say because it was all true. Everything she said that night and everything he was saying now was true. She shouldn't have stayed with Steve when she had feelings for Jonathan, and he shouldn't have stayed with her when he had feelings for Amelia. But, they were both too far deep in the stages of denial to admit it.

When Steve walked back inside, he could see Amelia's look of complete boredom from the bleachers and sighed.

"This ones for you Amelia!" Billy said before shooting the ball into the net. He laughed before flexing his muscle again, covered in sweat. She scoffed and put her head in her hands.

She just wished things would get back to normal soon. But what she didnt know was that normal just didnt exist in a town like Hawkins.

At least not anytime soon.

♡♡♡♡♡