CHAPTER SEVEN

AMELIA COULD FINALLY SLEEP KNOWING that the creature that had once overcome her thoughts was dead. After Eleven had successfully killed the demogorgon, Dustin had told Amelia that the little girl didn't make it.

Fortunately, Joyce and Hopper managed to bring Will home, who currently resided in the hospital Amelia was passed out in. While she was worried and terribly sadden that Barbara hadn't made it, she had slept peacefully after being up for multiple days, nightmare free.

Her head currently laid against Dustin's, who was also sleeping soundly on Amelia's shoulder as they sat in the waiting room with everyone. When Jonathan came back in to bring the kids in, Amelia's head shot straight up after Mike began shaking Dustin awake (which ultimately woke her up too).

Her eyes opened as she reached to grab the arm rest, only to miss and grab the person on her rights' knee. Her eyes opened in confusion as she looked over and made eye contact with Steve. Her eyes widened as she glanced down at her hand on his knee and removed it quickly before turning away awkwardly.

He chuckled a little, leaning back before muttering her a "sorry for everything". She turned to him and smiled slightly before shrugging her shoulders as if to say 'no big deal'. Her turned to her, gesturing for the sleepy girl to rest her head against his shoulder. Without thinking, Lia's head dropped onto him and in a matter of minutes she was asleep with a happy Steve smiling down at her.

Nancy watched them from across the room with a small smile on her face. She could see now the obvious feelings they hand for each other. It was even clear to Hopper, who sat two seats away from Amelia, as he gave a small eye roll at the two. The Wheeler girl didn't know how to feel. Sad? Angry?... maybe even a little relieved?

She wasn't overly upset, just slightly annoyed. Amelia was the one to set them up, so why would she do that if she liked Steve all along? Nancy was confused, but more so confused on the growing feelings she was gaining every time she looked over at Jonathan's face.

♡♡♡♡♡

ONE MONTH LATER:

Christmas at the Wheelers was normally meant for just the Wheeler's but this year, some families were coming together. Amelia arrived later than usual, her attire littered with snowflakes as she shook off the cold. She quickly called for Dustin, who yelled a "coming!" though Amelia knew he'd be at least five minutes.

She stood in the doorway and sighed, before Mrs Wheeler called her into the kitchen to ask her about her mother. Amelia liked Mrs Wheeler a lot more than her husband. She was kind, caring and all around a good mother and Mr Wheeler... well, he was not.

When she entered the kitchen, the smell of cookies and freshly baked pastries filled her nose as she gave the woman a kind smile. "Hey, Mrs Wheeler."

"Amelia! So nice to see you, how's your mother?" She asked as she iced around a cake.

The Henderson girl shrugged. "The same as usual. How are you?"

Before the woman could answer, Nancy came into the kitchen. "Mom, can I steal her for a sec?"

Mrs Wheeler gave her daughter a nod before her and Lia exchanged goodbyes. Nancy grabbed Amelia's hand and dragged her up the stairs and into the girl's room.

"I have your present," Nancy said with a smile as she handed Amelia the wrapped gift that oddly looked shaped like a cassette. "It's from me and Steve actually."

Amelia smiled, before reaching into her pocket and handing Nancy the gift. "And I have yours."

The girls smiled at each other and just when Nancy went to bring up the topic of Steve, Dustin's voice from the hallway downstairs could be heard calling his sister's name. Lia turned to the girl and gave her a small smile. "I have to go, Merry Christmas."

Nancy smiled. "Merry Christmas."

She then turned and went down the stairs, practically shoving her brother out of the front door. Before she could leave, a voice called out to her. She turned just as she was out the front door and when it reopened, she came face to face with Steve.

She looked at him expectantly, causing him to smile at her. "I uh, just wanted to say Merry Christmas."

She smiled slightly. "Merry Christmas." Just as she turned back around to walk to her car, an arm spun her around and the boy pulled her into a hug.

Amelia didnt react immediately, but when she did her arms were around Steve's waist in a grip as she let out a sigh. When they pulled away, he muttered a goodbye before walking back into the Wheeler's household.

Lia's grin could be seen from a mile away and she got into her car, and Dustin looked over at her with a look. "What?" She questioned, starting up the car as the radio played.

"You so like Steve."

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

Amelia scoffed. "Whatever, nerd."

♡♡♡♡♡