CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

IT TOOK THEM THREE SECONDS to notice Amelia's eyes that had now turned white, just like Max's at the graveyard. Eddie abruptly stood up from his crouched position when he spotted the girl opposite him.

"Hey, hey, whoa— Wheeler, someone— look!" He freaked out, pointing to the girl as he interrupted Robin. They all swiftly turned to Amelia to see that the girl was stood perfectly still and completely out of it.

When Steve's eyes landed on her, he felt as though his heart had been ripped out of his chest.

No, please not her.

Although no amount of pleading seemed to get rid of the sight in front of him.

Nancy, who was beside Amelia, reached her first and placed a hand on her shoulder as she examined her friends eyes fearfully. When Steve snapped out of it, he made a beeline and shoved past the crew who had crowded around her.

"No, no, no, no— hey! Amelia, please don't do this," He begged, his hands cupping her neck as his thumbs rubbed her cheeks. "Lia, wake up!"

"Shit," was all Dustin could mutter repeatedly to himself as he watched as Steve now began shaking Amelia.

"Come on, please!" Steve began to beg, his eyes growing watery as his non responsive girlfriend didn't budge.

Max backed off slightly, her legs growing weak as Lucas caught her before she could fall. The two watched in absolute horror as Steve, Dustin and Lucas realised they had to live through this again. "She's cursed," Max whispered to herself and Lucas, an overwhelming sense of fear and concern washing over her.

"Do something!" Lucas said to no one in particular.

Dustin then walked over to her, clicking his fingers in her face as his vision grew blurry due to the tears that threatened to fall. "Lia, don't make me slap you!"

Eddie watched from afar as the a third person began to go into this trance in front of him. But this time, it was Amelia. Amelia who was one of the first people in the school to be nice to him. Amelia who had smoked weed with him and laughed at nothing the entire time. Amelia who was his friend.

Steve lightly tapped Amelia's now pale white cheeks in an attempt to wake her, causing Nancy to shake her head at him. "Steve, we can't do anything—"

"Yes we can— why am I the only one doing something?!" Steve snapped at them, watching as Robin's pacing increased. "Please, just help me."

Max quickly ripped off her headphones that were wrapped around her neck and handed them to Nancy. "I— I don't know if that's her favourite song but..."

Steve just gave her a thankful look before watching as Nancy approached the girl at a fast pace.

Suddenly, she shot up in a blink before Nancy had the chance to even press play on the Kate Bush song. Flinching back into reality as she turned to the six of them near each other. "Thank god," Robin muttered as she stopped pacing.

Amelia didn't even say anything before she ran through them and behind the rock. The group followed her, calling out her name relentlessly before they found her staring at it in absolute terror.

They all stood beside the girl and glanced between her and the huge, dull rock beside them. Max then turned to Amelia from her right. "Did you see... it?"

All Amelia could do was nod as she tried to catch her breath, pointing in front of her. "The grandfather clock... from the Creel house... it was— it was... here."