CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

AMELIA HATED FIGHTING WITH STEVE. When they fought, it normally wasn't that big of a deal and could be resolved in a day. But this was a sensitive topic in their relationship and something they rarely talked about and the fact that Amelia caused it hurt her.

Steve didn't want to fight because he grew up with fighting, whether it was with his parents or with someone in school, and he didn't want to be that person anymore. Before Amelia and Steve dated, they bickered constantly as friends and even went days without speaking to the other on some occasions. Looking back on it, Amelia doesn't think they were ever meant to stay as friends.

But now that they were in a relationship, things were different. They were more open with boundaries and considered each other's feelings on a deeper level and Amelia couldn't have asked for a better boyfriend.

Yet, here they were. In the same car, surrounded by the people they called family and they can't even look at each other.

Night had fallen when the group arrived at Lover's Lake and where Rick Reefer was supposedly living. They all got out and walked to the front door of the old house as Dustin pressed the door bell.

When he received no answer he looked at the door in disbelief before he rapidly began hitting it, causing Amelia to roll her eyes at her brothers impatience.

"Okay, well that's settled. I guess he's not here," Steve stated, though Dustin ignored him and decided on banging the door instead.

"Eddie! It's Dustin!" He looked through the mirror of then front door to see the house in complete darkness. "Look, we just wanna talk, okay?"

He continuously began calling Eddie's name and banging on the door, ignoring both Amelia and Steve's protests telling him to be quieter.

"Hey guys?" Max called out, causing them all to turn to her. The girl pointed her flashlight to a boat house that lay near the water's deck.

They all walked down and tried looking through the windows for hope of finding the Munson boy before anyone else did. Robin slowly opened the front door, calling out into the darkness. "Hello? Is anyone home?"

When she received no answer, the rest of the group walked in with her and began examining the boathouse. Amelia held her flashlight close as she looked at all the boating equipment hat lay around untouched.

She quickly turned around when she heard a loud thump, only to see Steve repeatedly hitting the small boat in the middle of the shed with an ore.

"What're you doing?" Dustin questioned, watching his friend in bewilderment as Steve continued to hit the pile of equipment in the boat.

"He might be in here."

"So take the tarp off!" Dustin argued back, gesturing over to it.

Steve paused to look at him. "If you're so brave, you take the tarp off!"

Amelia raised an eyebrow at them before turning back to look for anything that could give her a signal that Eddie had been here.

"Hey, over here," Max called from beside her, causing Amelia to turn to the torch-lit table that consisted of wrappers of food.

"Maybe he heard us, got spooked and ran," Amelia suggested.

"Don't worry, Steve will get him with his ore."

Steve sighed. "I know you think you're being funny Henderson, but considering everyone in this room has nearly died a hundred times... personally I don't find it funny in the slight—"